Should I repair Lumia 1520 screen or buy a new lumia 640 for the same price of 1520 LCD?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

my Lumia 1520 screen is smashed and its not working to repair it it'll cost around the same price as a brand new Lumia 640 so I was wondering should I buy the Lumia 640 or fix the Lumia 1520?

The genuine Lumia 1520 screen, LCD with frame cost ?85 with delivery it will cost ?90

The Lumia 640 cost ?109 and also with the Lumia 640 there's an offer on Microsoft band which cost ?169 but when you Lumia 640 you can get it for ?100

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are pictures important? 640 will be a big camera downgrade.

Is gaming, streaming and other intense uses important? The SoC and RAM on 640 will be a big downgrade.

Is stellar battery endurance important? Ditto, 640 downgrade.

Beautiful HD screen Important? You get the idea...

If you are comfortable with the downgrade and a deep discount on Band makes up for it, then go ahead. If you have reveled in what the 1520 represents as being a top shelf device - then get 'er fixed up.

I think you just have "new phone itch" and want to scratch it.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently went through the same line of thinking when I shattered my Yellow 1520's screen. I bought a replacement LCD assembly and a replacement yellow shell. I really like my 1520 that much!

Unfortunately, aftermarket 1520 screens are very much a difficult market to buy from. Quality issues abound with the various knock-off/non-Nokia manufacturers out there. I returned my defective replacement screen assembly and bought a Green 1520 instead.

I almost gave in to the "new phone itch" (to borrow RumoredNow's phrasing) and ordered a 640XL. I'm very glad that I did not. The 1520 is the premium experience with this platform. It's the right phone for me until its W10M replacement convinces me to upgrade. :)

timamann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The 640 XL has a great camera. It will match the 1520 in most environments. I haven't seen any loss in video or photo reproduction with the 640 XL. In fact, in my experience, the 640 XL is indeed better with Macro shots. It can focus and lock on to objects better than the 1520.

Screen resolution though lower, I have not experienced a noticeable difference in readability. I actually notice its better in bright sunlight in my opinion.

If you are a big gamer than get the 1520 fixed. If not the 640 XL is lot of phone for the price. The only drawbacks though minor is no physical camera button and 8gb of internal storage. You've got to use an sd card, expandable up to 128gb.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Really? I've heard complaints about the 640 XL's camera. It will certainly be poorer in low light, given the lack of OIS.

If all you need is "good enough" then it might be fine. If it were me, I'd try it out. Emphasis on try.

timamann

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's what I did. I had 10 days with AT&T before my return window was up. It did not go back. Because its sensor is slightly smaller it actually lets more light in and does pretty well in low light. Look for every environment that the 1520 did better there was another that the 640 XL did better or equal.

The 640 XL is definitely not a flagship, by any stretch of the imagination, but it did surprise me big time and does really well. I had countless screen problem sensitivity and video skip issues with the 1520. So I needed something that would hold me until the 940 release in the fall. The 640 XL does that and then some. Really surprised me.
Its worth trying.

Last edited:

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Nicely put, but the OP asked about 640, not 640 XL. There is a very different camera module in each.
That may have been my fault since I mentioned the XL -- but that was what I gave serious consideration to due to its general comparability with the 1520. I don't blame anyone for switching to either the 640 or 640 XL to tide them over until the next flagship comes out due to the abundant number of 1520s that have that "ghost touch" or screen sensitivity issue.

Vincent Roi Mendoza

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd stick with the 1520 if i were you. There's nothing in the 640 that can top the 1520. Though like what the previous comment says, it's a bit tricky to find a decent screen replacement as some are just knock offs and would really show lags on swipes and shadows when scrolling

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo