Which 8 inch tablets for a developer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi I'm considering buing some 8 inch tab for tools like visual studio 2015, eclipse, android studio, r studio, some hd or 4k streams and vpn. Is it worth it? Or it will be a nightmare like the old atom z2700 series? Which tabs would you recommend? I'm considering a desktop dock so I'm not sure, even 4k stream is like max 4-5 megabytes/s of data transfer, would usb 2.0 would be enough or 3.0? What processor and ssd? Are there any 8' tabs with upgradeable ssd's? I would not consider anything more expensive than 300-400$ for used tab. And the final question- I noticed that multi core performance of the z3795 is pretty close to i3 and i5, is it some error or just that chip is really that good?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.... I don't think there's an 8 inch tablet that has the kind of horsepower to do what you want it to do. I don't want to say it's impossible, but I would assume it would be significantly harder to put a high output processor like the i3 or i5 in such a small form factor. I would imagine that without a fan, the tablet would have to throttle the processor, which defeats the entire purpose. Plus, $300-$400? That seems way too low. I would say spending an extra $100 on a Surface 3 or an upcoming Cherry Trail tablet that costs less might suffice, but I can't say for certain.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Having had an 8" Windows Desktop tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro), I would say you will be hard pressed to get the kind of productivity done that you indicate on such a cramped screen. Never mind the rest of the internals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999