Why can't my Lumia 635 detect the Lumia Denim update?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I use a Lumia 635 and I am on AT&T. On the Microsoft website, it says that Lumia Denim is now available for my device. But when I go to 'phone update' on my device and check for updates, it says that my phone is already at the latest version. I've checked 'extras+info' and it says my phone is still on Lumia Cyan.
I tried recovery with the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. No luck there.
I'm baffled that I can't get it, since I am really excited for one.
A little help, please?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello and Welcome to Windows Central,

You may want to check with AT&T regarding your concern. Carrier-locked phones are at the mercy of carrier's consent when it comes to OS and firmware updates - at least for Windows Phone 8.1 (this might change with Windows 10 Mobile). Hence, since your phone is carrier-locked, even if the update is already available for the L635 in your region, your carrier may still be not permitting the release of the update to your phone.

Should you wish to provide us with more details, please create a Windows Central account and respond to this thread.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has only released the Denim + Update 2 for its postpaid variant, not it's prepaid or GoPhone variant. If your phone is a prepaid one then you'll have to wait till AT&T releases it.

Kavana Gonur

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so since I do have a GoPhone, I have to wait for Denim? It's just that when I updated to Cyan, it only said the AT&T version is available. It did not specify for prepaid or postpaid, and I still got the update.
Also, I USED to run Windows 10 Technical Preview on my phone (still with Lumia Cyan), but I downgraded back to 8.1. Could it be because of this?
I'm very confused.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Nothing to be confused about. Yes you do need to wait for AT&T to release the update for the GoPhone variant. The GoPhone variant runs a different ROM than the Postpaid variant.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so since I do have a GoPhone, I have to wait for Denim? It's just that when I updated to Cyan, it only said the AT&T version is available. It did not specify for prepaid or postpaid, and I still got the update.
Also, I USED to run Windows 10 Technical Preview on my phone (still with Lumia Cyan), but I downgraded back to 8.1. Could it be because of this?
I'm very confused.
It has nothing to do with rolling back to 8.1. You did nothing wrong. It is simply the screwed up way that the carrier has chosen to roll out Denim. You have every reason to feel frustrated. Hang in there. Windows 10 is around the corner and supposedly without being so dependent on carriers for rollout.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss