Can I get the free Windows 10 upgrade?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have an HP laptop that came with Windows 8 on it. I installed a legally questionable copy of Win7 on it. Can I upgrade it to 10 without a reinstall using the HP Windows serial number?

Michaeljc702

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I tried Belarus. But isn't the key that is giving me the one used for when I installed Windows 7?

I looked all over the machine, including under the battery for a sticker with my original windows key and didn't find anything.

Michaeljc702

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I would say you would have to go to your original Win 8 and choose to upgrade.
When you say 'legally questionable' is Win7 activated?

When I installed Win7 I wiped the recovery partition so I don't know if it is possible to go back to Win8.

It says it is activated....but I doubt it really is. I didn't receive and update notifications like most people for Win10.

Michaeljc702

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried manually initiating the Win10 update?
Windows 10 upgrade not showing up yet? Here's how to manually trigger an update | Windows Central[/url]

I thought about it, but am afraid if it doesn't work I am screwed. I think I am going to take an image of what I have now and then try it. Then I can go back to Win7 if it doesn't work.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a product key sticker on the bottom of your PC, then your Windows 8 key is stored in the BIOS via UEFI ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface ).

The easiest way would be to reinstall Windows 8, which won't ask for your product key, it will automatically detect it in BIOS, then upgrade that to 10. It'll take a little while, but it's pretty simple, and it's legitimate.

Michaeljc702

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
If you don't have a product key sticker on the bottom of your PC, then your Windows 8 key is stored in the BIOS via UEFI ( ).

The easiest way would be to reinstall Windows 8, which won't ask for your product key, it will automatically detect it in BIOS, then upgrade that to 10. It'll take a little while, but it's pretty simple, and it's legitimate.

I have the OEM Windows key from the BIOS. I am not sure if I can upgrade with that though.

Doing what you said would require getting a copy of Windows 8 and installing it, Upgrading, then reinstalling all my software, settings etc.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it is a hassle, but it is the way to do it correctly and legally. Windows 8 is the product key that you purchased with the PC. That key should automatically be detected by Windows 10 and upgraded without issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs