Windows 10 installed: now can't open Office attachments from email, what should I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 installed: now can't open Office attachments from email

W10 installed successfully this morning and working fine overall. Problem is that I cannot open Office docs I have downloaded from email attachments.

I have tried this in Excel & Word with both new files and files I have successfully downloaded and opened before (so no problem with the attachments themselves).

The files download complete - the file size is the same as in the attachment on the email - but when I open an Excel doc it says "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened;" for Word it says "Word experienced an error trying to open the file" followed by a list of pointless suggestions. I am having no problems with files already saved on my computer in Excel or Word. I have tried opening files directly and accessing them within the application's Open option.

hansmeel

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 installed: now can't open Office attachments from email

Try : In Excel go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View, and then uncheck Enabled Protected View for files originating from the Internet.

RTIQL8N

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

Navigating to the trust center's protected view for both word and excel and deselecting the appropriate radio button worked!

Peter Rudy

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Try : In Excel go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View, and then uncheck Enabled Protected View for files originating from the Internet. -- THANKS - WORKED PERFECTLY - I also unchecked: Files attached to email

Douglas Campbell

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for solving this. :smile:

I installed Windows 10 a couple of days ago and was so frustrated that I hurt my hand thumping my desk!!

GregoryinDenver

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

Thanks! This worked perfectly for me in Word.

Try : In Word go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View, and then uncheck Enable Protected View for files originating from Outlook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa