How do I change my login account from local to my Microsoft account?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I just updated from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. After a lengthy fight with networking due to VPN conflicts (a ridiculous problem by the way) I have everything working. However, some of the features require a Microsoft account to be used. My 8.1 login was local. Now I want to use Cortana and other new features in Win 10. How can I change the account to a Microsoft account? I have tried the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" link but it does nothing to remedy the problem.

Any suggestions?

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I did a upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desktop pc. The Local Accounts all made it through the transfer. I was able to log onto my local account and link it with my microsoft account. On the other two local accounts it will not connect with the Microsoft account. I log into the local account, go to the account settings under your account. I select "Sign in with microsoft account instead". I give the microsoft account user name and password and then answer the prompt for the local account password. I click next and it goes right back to the settings window with no change.
I have upgraded five other machines and do not have this problem with any of the accounts on those machines. It was the same 3 Local Accounts linked to the same 3 Microsoft Accounts on all of those machines.
On the one machine, I linked one local and microsoft account and then could not link the other 2 local accounts. The only difference on this machine is that I did add a work email account on this machine. It asked to change some of the security policies. I agreed. After that I went to set up the other two accounts. This is the only explanation I can think of. Can anyone tell me how to get this to work. I do not want to delete the local accounts because they contain all of our data.
I reset the Advanced settings in IE. I checked on and off the TLS boxes. With them unchecked, I cannot even enter the Microsoft account information. With them checked on I get through the process of entering my Microsoft account information, then entering my local account password. As soon as I click next it goes straight to the account settings page with no effect. I reset to the earliest restore point I had. It didn't work. I have tried to run secpol.msc, but it does not exist on my machine.
I am convinced that my work email made this happen when I let it change the security settings. I have deleted that account, but I do not know how to undo the changes.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read the response above me. You should though.

My suggestion: Try to create a new user in the computer with your Microsoft account. Then manually transfer whatever you need from the old one: Desktop files, documents, music, videos, favorites... Don't forget anything!

Finally delete the local account.

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Created a new user and it still did not work. Finally did a refresh of Windows 10 and the same issue. I had to do a clean instal and now I can log in to my Microsoft account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12