• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

my windows start menu is not working after upgrading to windows 10 yesterday

G Shawn

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had similar problems to those described above after upgrading from Win 8.1 to win 10. No response from clicking on the Start Menu icon. No response or extremely delayed response (a couple of minutes) to clicking on the Network or Audio icons on the taskbar. When I launch the Task Manager it will freeze and take several minutes to complete launching. Windows indicates I have no Restore to return to Win 8.1. Wow, this is not giving me the warm fuzzies!

Yes, as Liam asked, I also have the Avast! Virus software. I will try to uninstall to see if that stabilizes Windows 10.

Liamhughess

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had similar problems to those described above after upgrading from Win 8.1 to win 10. No response from clicking on the Start Menu icon. No response or extremely delayed response (a couple of minutes) to clicking on the Network or Audio icons on the taskbar. When I launch the Task Manager it will freeze and take several minutes to complete launching. Windows indicates I have no Restore to return to Win 8.1. Wow, this is not giving me the warm fuzzies!

Yes, as Liam asked, I also have the Avast! Virus software. I will try to uninstall to see if that stabilizes Windows 10.

Hope that works for you buddy!

Windsara

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I have uninstalled advast and so far that fixed the start issue ...but have just noticed my.video and sound issue came back that I have already fixed before ....sound is distorted and all video only shows.in slow motion...updating drivers only say they are already updated ...I just shut down for the.night and will see how it runs in the morning

G Shawn

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Very strange, Windows 10 seems to have repaired itself. After a few reboots, things were getting better. After the last reboot I was informed that a Windows update was being installed. Afterwards, it all seems perfectly fine and I find that my CPU demand is lighter than under Windows 8.1. I had not yet suspended or uninstalled the Avast! software. Perhaps Microsoft is finally getting better at this game and teaching its OS self-diagnostics.

Interestingly, now that it’s working ok, I found under Settings an option to roll back to Windows 8 (it claims limited to 30 days!). So far, I like what I’m seeing with Windows 10. It is perhaps one of those rare times when a Microsoft upgrade is actually an improvement. Decided to clone my boot drive and roll it back to Windows 8, just in case.

Perttu Lehtinen

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Guys I've just had a similar problem on my desktop PC. I got it working again using the method described in another thread called "Startmenu and taskbar not working in windows 10", but all the program folders were empty.

I was just about resigned to having to link them all in manually when I thought I would check the registry for errors using CCleaner (I use this all the time).

About 30% of the way through all the programs started appearing in all the folders.

It might not work for you but it's worth a try, or try your usual registry checker

I use the free version of CCleaner.

And then they say that Windows is easy to use! :D

Windsara

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
well everything seems to be working on my end..... start menu and all the apps have been working...video and sound is working ..... windows did another update and it is still working.... This is from uninstalling Avast and manually updating drivers, I have yet to decide if I want to try and reinstall Avast and see if it will continue to work... I would like to be able to use whatever antivirus I want to without issue :eck: I did scan my computer with Malware bytes and no issues were found....for now I will let it be

Qadir Ali khan

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
dont worry about this..
i am also facing this problms and then googled but there is nothing work for me..
now i tell the secret recipie to fix this without any problam..
just do a window restore .. problam solved
.. no data lost no apps unisnstall by restoring
restoring window 10
stp 1..
control panl.
stp 2
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance
step 3
recovery
step 4
open system restore ,,,
and make a restore