Windows 8 laptop seems to have corrupted windows files what can I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My friend has a Windows 8 laptop. Whenever they try to turn it on, a message pops-up saying:
"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click "Ok" to restart the computer, then restart the installation"
(however, she was using the laptop previously and it came with Windows 8 pre-installed). She recons she may have gotten a virus. Oh and a restart makes the same message appear.

Now with this message popping up, I would assume the windows files have been corrupted or something along those lines. With no backup we have not got many choices. I assume anything like safe mode and stuff wouldn't work with Windows being so seemingly badly damaged.

I thought the only, and rather clever, fix would be to create a Windows 10 installation stick, through the media creation tool on my laptop, then use this to install Windows 10 on hers. I would say to not keep anything when installing it so the virus goes and she has backed up her documents and photos. With the license key being all protected in the system, it should be able to see the license key and activate shouldn't it?

So after a long story my question is, would this work?

(She's had the laptop for 2 years as well...)

OwenStilli

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Does the media creation tool create a bootable USB? If so I could get in the bios and boot into that couldn't I? And anyway to get the product key with the laptop on its current state?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
You can create a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool. It'll do all the work for you so there's no need for tools such as Rufus. If you can get into BIOS you could boot into the USB.
I do not believe so, although I'm not 100% certain.

OwenStilli

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hmm ok. Thanks for the responses. Might just have to in for the kill as such, ita either that or she has a useless laptop.
Will have a look around to see about obtaining that license key before I start though.

OwenStilli

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've looked into the product key issue. They are embedded in the BIOS so should he there anyway right?
Would there be any issues with her not reserving a copy? Or would the key work anyway?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Now that you mention it, I think the product key may be imbedded in BIOS. However, I'm not CERTAIN as the last time I went into BIOS (I was looking to see if a computer's partitioned hard drive indicated a dual boot operating system...it didn't so I merged the two hard drives together) I wasn't looking for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo