windows 10 upgrade, nothing working.

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Last night, 4 august NZ time, I upgraded to windows 10. The upgrade process seemed to work smoothly, no error messages, finally the computer rebooted 3 times, as it said it would. When windows 10 finally appeared, I logged in OK, but nothing worked. The start menu does nothing, search doesn't work, the task bar icons don't work, specifically the windows explorer icon which I really need doesn't work, internet explorer icon is missing and I have no way to connect to the internet, can't get to the start screen (windows key doesn't work), no way to get to "my computer", only the desktop icons work but don't have the short cuts I need to attempt to fix this or at least to explore the situation further. Task Manager works but doesn't close properly (not responding message appears). Because I have no way to get on the internet, I'm having to use my work computer. I need a quick and accurate answer as I'm really hacked off about this. Step by step, please. assume nothing. Don't ask me what "build" or anything else technical - I just don't know.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
First things first, please register so that you can answer questions put forward by members who choose to help. Secondly, this is a Windows community and no gets paid for the assistance they provide so be a bit humble when asking for assistance. I know you might be frustrated because your update did not go as planned. Relax, its a software update and not all processes are a success.

Read around, there are a ton of articles out there which tell you how to reset your PC.

How to Clean Install Windows 10
Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYL0_xOXW4

Vinny52

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I went to bed with "Working on it ..." chugging away and the hard drive very busy doing something. It is now 8.30 in the morning and nothing has changed. How naff is an upgrade process that it cannot manage this? I remember upgrading to Windows 7 with absolutely no problems.

Now I was one of those impatient folk who tried to manage the upgrade ahead of time using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool. This repeatedly failed after the first reboot. So, I thought that waiting for the roll out would be the best policy, but no...

I have seen lots of advice about making sure you uninstall your security software first, detach all your USB devices, update all your drivers, especially your video drivers and even disconnect all your additional internal hard drives. How naff is that? What a shambles Microsoft is getting itself into. If they can produce a a smooth Windows 7 upgrade that works even without a clean install, surely they can manage this.

Sidscri

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Same thing for me. Except that in windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 pro the hard drive is at 99%, task manager said windows update is using it mostly. The video card drivers crashed, so was forced to uninstall video drivers. I can not access anything under settings, that window keeps closing, cant access windows update. Takes 5-10 minutes to fully boot. There are many many more issues, but have only been on the newly upgraded system for an hour!!. I can not use my system for anything. Even writing this is difficult.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss