Why isn't my phone companion app importing photos?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Phone Companion App not importing photos!!

My Lumia 930 worked fine with the windows phone app for windows 8.1 on my SP3 I used to backup all my photos and videos periodically by importing them to my SP3 using the app for windows 8.1.

After upgrading to windows 10, I am not able to import my photos from my Lumia 930 to my Surface. Every time I try to import, the photos app shows an error saying something went wrong. Please help me and is anyone else having the same problem? My phone is on critical low memory and I need help fast.

Thanks!!

Ay Oh

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Phone Companion App not importing photos!!

I had a similar issue after upgrading to Windows 10, and through trial and error, I fixed it through permissions. Try this:

Find the folder where the photos are normally saved.
Right click and select Properties
On the Security tab, select your username, or the home group, in the list of user names
Click 'Edit'
Click on 'Allow' for all permissions.
Click 'Apply'

wendyinseattle

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I had to do something even more complicated - I couldn't swear this is how I did it, but I believe it is, and it fixed the problem.

Right-click on the Pictures file
Click Properties
Click Security tab
Tricky: Every "group or user name" appeared to have all permissions "allowed" though the checkboxes are grayed out.
Click on Add
Trickier: Now you are asked to "Enter the object names to select." WTF? I clicked the "example" link, which led me to instructions here: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn789205, which told me to type in "Users", so:
Type "users" for the "group or user name" and click "OK"
Make sure all the permissions are checked for "Allow" for the new user and click "Apply"

Voila. Now you can import photos without getting the error message.

Hope this helps someone! It was sure hard enough to figure out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs