Why is my desktop screen blinking after Windows 10 install?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

I have a Dell Inspiron that had windows 7. I received the free install on my computer for windows 10 which I installed. The install took a little longer per messages on the screen while downloading but it finally loaded and it said welcome to me then to my husband then the desktop came up but it started blinking and didn't stop. I powered the desktop down and then torn it back on and it does the same thing. I can't do anything as there is a little blue circle turning around and the screen keeps blinking. How can I fix this?

winstonsuz

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I had no trouble installing windows 10 on my hp laptop with windows 8. HOWEVER, tonight trying to install on my hp desktop with windows 7 it was very slow to download and now the screen is flashing like a strobe light! It won't stop flashing! I shut it down and when I turned it back on it's still flashing! NOW WHAT?? help!!!!!!!

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had no trouble installing windows 10 on my hp laptop with windows 8. HOWEVER, tonight trying to install on my hp desktop with windows 7 it was very slow to download and now the screen is flashing like a strobe light! It won't stop flashing! I shut it down and when I turned it back on it's still flashing! NOW WHAT?? help!!!!!!!

Safe mode?

jtresor

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I have not found a solution...mine is doing this too...but I did find out you can't start up in safe mode ...because MS disabled the F8 key to save "time in rebooting" omg rocket science at its best!

Bill Cermele

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Mine is blinking also. only one of the many issues i am having like disappearing Bluetooth and drivers that get errors. MS fix it tool says not compatible. Thats a laugh, not compatible:unhappy: with their own OS. I hate this update so far.

Mark DeWaelsche

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I finally got mine working. I had two issues. ICloud isn't compatible and the installation removed my Norton Security Suite. In order to remove ICloud, you can't do it in Safe Mode, I had to boot up in Safe Mode by holding down shift while selecting restart. In safe mode, right click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner. Click on "Run" and type "MSConfig" then click "OK". On the general tab click on diagnostic startup, apply and then ok. Restart the computer. It should start and not be blinking at this point. Right click on the Windows icon again and at the top of the list click on Programs and Features, scroll down to ICloud and remove it.

In Norton's case, I had to download an app from Symantec called "ScreenFix". I couldn't get internet access no matter what I did so I went to my wife's laptop and downloaded it. I copied the app from her download directory onto a thumbdrive and then ran it "As Administrator". It didn't appear to do anything but when I rebooted after going back into MSConfig and setting it for Normal Startup, it didn't flash anymore and worked normally. Once I did this I went back to Comcast's site since I have them as a service provider and can get Norton free and reinstalled Norton Security Suite.

I know it's a lot but this is what got me going. What a pain in the ****! Microsoft should have had this stuff figured out before they made Windows 10 available. I hope this is helpful to at least some of you.

Bingoqtplayer

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem when I updated windows on my computer. I waited for about 40 minutes with my screen blinking thinking it was still uploading the new windows. About 40 minutes into the blinking my Norton antivirus pop up came on the computer while the computer was still flashing. It stated that the Norton anti virus version needed an update to work with windows 10 . So I clicked update even though my screen kept on blinking and crossed my fingers. Once it updated the screen stopped blinking. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720