In Windows 10 - why are many apps listed as Unavailable?

Jack O brian

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 - Settings -System - Apps & Features - many apps are listed as "Unavailable". Also Right click start icon, select Programs and Features - those "unavailable" apps have no publisher, zero size and no version number.

Yet some of the ones I check look like they are working.. but some like AVG PC TuneUp and AVG Antivirus have disappeared. What's Up?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: In Windows 10 - many apps are listed as "Unavailable"

Some apps are unavailable because they were determined to be "incompatible" with Windows 10. There are some apps that are so incompatible that they are uninstalled prior to Windows 10 being installed because they cause issues with the upgrade process. The PC TuneUp and Antivirus you mentioned were not compatible, and Windows 10 uninstalled them. You will need to get the new versions from the author's website and reinstall a compatible version. Antivirus companies are aware of this and have been working hard to provide new products for Windows 10, so check with them to see if it is available yet.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Why is Office Professional Plus 2013 showing up as unavailable? It certainly should be compatible with Windows 10???

I have no issues with my Office Professional 2013 installation. Migrated just fine. I have no idea, unless it needs to be updated.

Nik Grant

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to add that for me, the reason I found out I too had the Office Professional 2013 listed as Unavailable (9/20/2015) in the Add/Remove programs is because I was troubleshooting trying to reopen a Word doc file I had been working on. I was getting an error said I couldn't open the doc because I have incompatible versions of Office (my .msi installed version, and what appears to be an on-demand version). I can open the .doc file in Fox-It and convert it to a PDF, so I don't think it's the file.

So, I still have the problem.

Jack O brian

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

I have no issues with my Office Professional 2013 installation. Migrated just fine. I have no idea, unless it needs to be updated.

Found the answer, has nothing to do with update, incompatibility.

In case of a Windows Store app showing size as Unavailable, it only means that you have not yet used that app since you upgraded to 10 like Mail and Calendar, Maps and Microsoft Solitaire in the below screenshot; as soon as I will use them, the Settings app can calculate their size. In case of a desktop applications Unavailable is also sometimes shown even when you have used the application but for one or another reason the Settings app cannot determine the size of the application. In screenshot below you can see Maxthon Browser, Microsoft Expression Encoder and Office 365 size as Unavailable although I use all of them on daily basis:....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Huynh

May 5, 2016
Visit site

Found the answer, has nothing to do with update, incompatibility.

In case of a Windows Store app showing size as Unavailable, it only means that you have not yet used that app since you upgraded to 10 like Mail and Calendar, Maps and Microsoft Solitaire in the below screenshot; as soon as I will use them, the Settings app can calculate their size. In case of a desktop applications Unavailable is also sometimes shown even when you have used the application but for one or another reason the Settings app cannot determine the size of the application. In screenshot below you can see Maxthon Browser, Microsoft Expression Encoder and Office 365 size as Unavailable although I use all of them on daily basis:....

That didnt work for me it still shows as unavailable and it sends my computer to sleep when I used them

pgauci

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled Windows 10 and all the programmes and am reinstalling all of them. I reinstalled and used Office 2013 and it still appears as Unavailable. Reinstalled 2016 AVG Pro and graphics card driver is also Unavailable.

Why don't Microsoft just inform people of this issue? If anything they would put our minds at rest.

Mr anony

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
If you go to your control panel and then type in the search box default programs let it load up takes a few seconds then press select default programs and then just press the
app you want to use as a default hopefully this helps somebody ─────█─▄▀█──█▀▄─█─────
────▐▌──────────▐▌────
────█▌▀▄──▄▄──▄▀▐█────
───▐██──▀▀──▀▀──██▌───
──▄████▄──▐▌──▄████▄─
We Are Anonymous
We Are Legion
We Do Not Forgive
We Do Not forget
Expect Us

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics