How do I clear all user data/settings to sell HP Stream 8?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to clear all user data/settings to sell HP Stream 8

Purchased with Win 8.1 and upgraded to Win 10. Runs fine but I've decided to switch to a Surface 3. To sell the Stream I need to clear all my personal info: network id/password, settings and so forth.

With a desktop it is simple, just reinstall from the disk or recovery partition. None of that applies to this tablet.

Yes I've read the nonsense responses from Microsoft support folks on their forum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to clear all user data/settings to sell HP Stream 8

Enable BitLocker and then do a complete wipe/install, what BitLocker will do is encrypt the drive making it unreadable/unrecoverable and re-installing the OS will further reduce chances of data recovery.

Get the Win 10 ISO, create the boot media onto a USB stick, DVD or MicroSD card.
Boot off the Media into the recovery mode and then command line.
Using DiskPart wipe the partition:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx

Then reboot using the USB stick and install as normal. Before wiping the drive check if it's GPT enabled, if it is you'll need to make sure this is done in DiskPart before rebooting after wiping the partition.

Note: This is the normal procedure I follow for Dell/HP laptops and Surface Tablets, and a Dell Tablet, I've not tried this on any HP Tablets but it should work from the MicroUSB slot.

If you need the commands for DiskPart let me know and I'll check the script I have here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire