Cracked Screen Replacement - Microsoft Center or Local Repair Shop?

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I dropped my less-than-a-month-old Lumia 640XL on it's face, and now it has cracks all over it (touch still works - that's how I am typing here).

So, I asked at a Microsoft Center, and they told me that I'd have to shell out about Rs 6000 (90 USD) for it, and a local repair shop promises to get it done for Rs 4000 (60 USD).

What shall I do? Does a Microsoft store use better parts? The local repair shop I asked at was also pretty decent and systematic with Service Sheets and stuff like that.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Prices can sometimes vary quite a bit even from repair shop to repair shop. There's nothing magical about a more expensive repair. If the shop is reliable and has a good reputation, I'd go with the lower price.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Prices can sometimes vary quite a bit even from repair shop to repair shop. There's nothing magical about a more expensive repair. If the shop is reliable and has a good reputation, I'd go with the lower price.

Thanks, I have one more question, though. Wouldn't it void my warranty if an unauthorized shop opens up my phone?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Your warranty may be dependent on where you purchased your phone. Some sellers will sell you a new phone that doesn't have a warranty, period, because they've already done something that voided it. Also, in some cases with some carriers, if you purchased it from the carrier then they may handle the warranty and warranty details. Depends on the carrier with that one.

If you purchased it directly from a Microsoft Store, then make sure the repair shop is an "authorized Microsoft service center." If they aren't authorized by Microsoft, then it may well void the warranty. Find out from the repair shop if they are authorized, and, if you feel you need to, confirm it with Microsoft.

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I have one more question, though. Wouldn't it void my warranty if an unauthorized shop opens up my phone?

Yes, your warranty will be void. Spend the extra ₹2000 and get it repaired from the authorized Microsoft/Nokia service centre. I'm pretty sure that the other repair shop will install a China made cheap lcd, which may or may not be as good as the original lcd available at the Microsoft service centre. In case it isn't, you'll be screwed both ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans