(How) should I partition my Device?

Joel DSO

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
for various reasons I am doing a clean install of Win 10 on all three of my Computers (2 laptops, 1 Surface Pro), this gives me the option of deciding on whether or not I want to have more than one partition or not.
I have read that it is a smart move to create partitions for windows/programs, and one just for data, to allow a fast backup of system image etc.
However, I use OneDrive for pretty much all my data, meaning that I don't need to worry about backing it up on an external drive. Because of the varying disc sizes I have lots of media on my laptop, as well as some games which take up a lot of space, and are not synched with OneDrive (especially now that one does not see online only files); on my Surface Pro (1st gen) I only have 128GB, so I only have a few photos and movies on local storage.
My question is, is it worth it to create at least two partitions on all my devices? And if it is worth it, how should I set up those Partitions, in terms of size and what to put on them (e.g. only windows on C: , and data and programs on D: , or windows and programs on C: , data on D: )

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not worth it. How will you know how much of each is appropriate today or in 5 years - how much all the OS updates will use over time. Migrating drive images etc.

Simplest is one partition. Never found one good reason not to do that.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have mine split into several partitions. The bulk of it is still C, and I have a partition for music, one for pictures, one for files, and a couple for other specific categories, like ISOs and medical archive. It's nice to have them sorted out just for ease, but it has been wonderful for the times I've done fresh installs of the OS, especially the time everything crashed majorly and I thought I lost everything, only to find all my files were safe and sound on their own partitions, and all I had to do was just reassign the drive letters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6