Recovering data lost from fixing passport drive?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi guys,

I have a passport drive that I previously separated into 2 drives, a small one which was used for recovery files from my previous computer and a big partition used for backups & file history.

I hadn't used it in a while, but then I got a new computer and used it to transfer and back things up. When I plugged it in Windows would alert me that there was an error with the drive and to click to try and fix it, which I ignored at first. Today I decided to see what would happen if Windows tried to fix it, so I clicked for it to be repaired and after a brief few seconds it was repaired.

I then created a recovery from the new computer on the smaller partition (which said it would erase the files on that drive). Then I noticed that the larger backup partition wasn't showing, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in to the same result. I check Disk Management, which showed the larger portion of the drive was now unallocated.

My guess is that Windows didn't like the dual partition on the external drive, although it seemed to work fine in transferring files to and from either partition, and the fix it did was deleting the larger partition.

In Disk Management I allocated the space without formatting the drive, in hopes that the data would still be there, but now it is telling me that to use it I have to format it. Is there a simple-ish way to get back the data that was here without some hit and miss program that undeletes files?

I'm on Windows 8.1 and just used all windows programs and features on the Toshiba Passport drive.

Thank you,

Nila

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99