Requested the Windows 10 upgrade but it hasn't arrived, when should I get it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Requested the Windows 10 upgrade but it hasn't arrived

Hi all,

I've upgraded several of the computers in my house successfully to Win 10 already, however my daughter's Compaq CQ71 currently runnning Win 7) laptop seems to be a problem.

After ensuring all updates were done, I received the task bar invite on the machine as expected and accepted it (requesting that it notify me when ready).

It's now been over a week and I still have only the invite in the task bar, no notification asking me to schedule the upgrade.

Any advice on how to actually force the download / install.

Cheers!

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Requested the Windows 10 upgrade but it hasn't arrived

Ps. Run the created installer from inside your current Windows to make sure your windows 10 activate automatically.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Requested the Windows 10 upgrade but it hasn't arrived

Yes, actually, when you go to that page and click on the "download tool now (32 or 64 bit)" the program will start and give you the option to "upgrade now"

Capture.JPG

avmad

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both!

I forgot that you could do an 'upgrade this pc now' inside the media creation tool. I will do that!

BTW - As regards downloading an ISO and creating a disk, I already did this some weeks ago. However, with this particular laptop, what I found was that it did the upgrade from the disk but then once upgraded to Windows 10, resolutely stated that the installation was not activated. I tried entering the (generic) windows 10 key but it would not accept it. Because of this, I went back (PC reset) to windows 7, reinstalled all updates again and got the machine to where it is right now.

Having said the above, I'm sure that the 'upgrade this pc now' option that you mentioned will avoid this problem, so that's what I will do.

Thanks again!

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both!

I forgot that you could do an 'upgrade this pc now' inside the media creation tool. I will do that!

BTW - As regards downloading an ISO and creating a disk, I already did this some weeks ago. However, with this particular laptop, what I found was that it did the upgrade from the disk but then once upgraded to Windows 10, resolutely stated that the installation was not activated. I tried entering the (generic) windows 10 key but it would not accept it. Because of this, I went back (PC reset) to windows 7, reinstalled all updates again and got the machine to where it is right now.

Having said the above, I'm sure that the 'upgrade this pc now' option that you mentioned will avoid this problem, so that's what I will do.

Thanks again!

Here is a possible scenario why it didn't work.
- you run the setup from the disc in older version of windows as required
- it made you select few things and it got to work.
- it restarted the computer as part of the installation.
- the bios is set to run from the disc/usb so it ran the installation again. This is where things went wrong
- you selected a few more thing and it installed win 10.

The above procedure will not carry the activation. You have to remove the disc after the restart or make sure your bios does not search for it before the hard disk.

Just some thoughts for other people :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05