Looking forward to new flagships but will I be able to downgrade to a version of WP 8.1?

testarosy

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Before you ask, I specifically bought a 640 to test WM10 and am very ambivalent. It's a very give and TAKE OS.
Would it be possible to install WP 8.1 on a new WM10 out-of-the box phone? (apologies if this a duplicate)

testarosy

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to you both. Having used the word downgrade, I realize that I should have asked a different question. Is it possible to somehow install on older version of an OS over or in place of a newer? For example, Microsoft allowed for a "downgrade" to Win7 or Vista on a brand new PC shipped with Win8Pro. Is something similar possible with a phone, with or without Microsoft's help? (And in that question, I'm not intending to ask for anything beyond the pale, just for a new phone with a previous OS iteration.)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to you both. Having used the word downgrade, I realize that I should have asked a different question. Is it possible to somehow install on older version of an OS over or in place of a newer? For example, Microsoft allowed for a "downgrade" to Win7 or Vista on a brand new PC shipped with Win8Pro. Is something similar possible with a phone, with or without Microsoft's help? (And in that question, I'm not intending to ask for anything beyond the pale, just for a new phone with a previous OS iteration.)
No, it is not possible on any mobile phone. For example, I won't be able to install Android KitKat on the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition that I'm getting. Android Lollipop 5.1.1 which it comes with is the only stock OS I can use, even on a new Android device. Yes, I know with Android custom ROMs are possible, but not older versions of stock Android.

I couldn't install BlackBerry OS 4.6 on my BlackBerry 9700, since BlackBerry OS 5.0 is what came on the device. BlackBerry OS 4.6 was only available for older BlackBerry devices, such as the BlackBerry 9000 which I had prior to the 9700.

testarosy

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again to you all. I'll have some decisions to make whenever the flagships make their appearance. I just can't muster up the same enthusiasm as when I got my 900, then my 925, and even my 640.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans