Will Office 365 Home (or any version) ever sync Outlook calendars and contacts

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I was kind of shocked when upgrading to Office 365 Home that Outlook could NOT sync calendars and contacts with other devices in my Homegroup.

Could no longer do it by connecting the device physically to my PC with a USB cable.

I'm still shocked and appalled that all the buzz about Windows 10 makes no mention - that I have seen - about this.

Does anyone on Windows Central have any tips about this?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When you add your Office365 email account it syncs contacts to a PC. Homegroup (something totally unrelated to Office365) has never synced contacts and calendars, just documents and music etc. between PCs on a LAN.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
When you add your Office365 email account it syncs contacts to a PC. Homegroup (something totally unrelated to Office365) has never synced contacts and calendars, just documents and music etc. between PCs on a LAN.
Office 365 syncs contacts? Office 365 only syncs contacts and calendars if you have an Exchange account. Most home users - like me - do not have those type of account. We have POP3 or IMAP type of accounts.
What am I missing. How have you used Office 365 to sync contacts?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Just add the other accounts to Outlook if you want the calendars and contacts.
Then 'my calendars' to select which ones you want in view, then 'view' at the top and select 'overlay'

Of course the other accounts have to have a calendar to do this

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Office 365 syncs contacts? Office 365 only syncs contacts and calendars if you have an Exchange account. Most home users - like me - do not have those type of account. We have POP3 or IMAP type of accounts.
What am I missing. How have you used Office 365 to sync contacts?

You are right. Home Office 365 doesn't include Exchange. Unlike Business Office 365 which I use.

However, with free Google or Outlook.com email accounts, you can still sync Contacts and Calendar... just add those accounts to Outlook and Calendar.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues syncing contacts.
I have a Hotmail account and add contacts accordingly. I log on to a different computer, either via web or the generic windows 8.1 or 10 email app and my contacts are available.
My calendar also syncs with no issue. I have about 6 different calendars, they are all color coded so I can tell the difference between work, home, non-profit, Facebook, etc.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have no issues syncing contacts.
I have a Hotmail account and add contacts accordingly. I log on to a different computer, either via web or the generic windows 8.1 or 10 email app and my contacts are available.
My calendar also syncs with no issue. I have about 6 different calendars, they are all color coded so I can tell the difference between work, home, non-profit, Facebook, etc.
Just to be clearer ... I want to be able to sync the existing contacts and calendar already on my PC created using desktop Outlook. I do not want to use outlook.com People or Calendar apps as they do not have features that I use.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Contacts/Calendar stored on your Hotmail.com/live.com/outlook.com are stored in the cloud and can be synced to ANY DEVICE that uses the internet. IOS/Android/Mac/Linux/Windows all would be able to grab the contacts/calendar information and pull it down.
Whatever method you choose to use is up to you. The functionality is there, whether you like the application or not.
Here's example use case scenarios I've recently encountered:
1. I went swimming with my phone and it broke. I purchased a new phone and within 60 seconds, it's usable with contacts/calendar.
2. Purchase a new computer (Or log on to a friends computer). Contacts/calendar is ready for use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster