Windows Mobile 10 Build 10536 giving error 0x80090005 on start screen, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows Mobile 10 Build 10536 giving error 0x80090005 on start screen

Eveything else seems to work... camera, notification center, emails notifications, whatapp notifications (and web!) but if I try to access the start screen or the settings page I just get a grey screen with:

"Something went wrong (code: 0x80090005). Restart your device to see if that fixes the problem.

I've done a normal and hard restart... same problem.

Anyone else had this issue? I've searched the the error code and I done get anything... :'(

pdmetze

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows Mobile 10 Build 10536 giving error 0x80090005 on start screen

Same problem here, although I can not do anything. I see the lock screen and after entering PIN code I only see the error screen with mentioned error code. Push Notifications show up, but I cannot open them. Reboot and Soft-reset didn't work. Anybody else having it or maybe having a fix?

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

My Lumia 930 also has this problem. I am trying the Windows recovery tool v2.1.2 and it is stating there is an update to be applied to the phone

Phone
Firmware version: 02540.00019.14484.37008
Operating system version: 10536.13003

Software available on server
Firmware version: 02540.00019.15234.50011
Operating system version: 9651.14219??????

I have no option other than to install software even though the Operating system version appears lower than what is on the phone?? It states it will take approximately 15 minutes.

However, when I choose install software it is very slow and looks like it will take 10 hours to download!!!

I have tried the hard reset procedure for W10mobile as stated on windowscentral search for "Yes, you should do a master reset for the best Windows 10 Mobile experience" (by the way that is very complicated!) but I never get to see the exclamation mark as stated. It just keeps rebooting and showing the Nokia logo if I keep holding down the down volume key as suggested.

Can someone help?

anon(8057870)

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I did a hard reset at this point. Keep holding the down volume key n connect to the wall charger n u will get the exclamation mark.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

@as147 Software on server is wp8.1 version. Recovery tool can't update to W10 since it's nit officially released. You use W10 Technical PREVIEW , and it's logical that it has bigger number than official one. Did you tried hard reset?

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Hi, always_salil and ramyZgHR if I understand you correctly I can't use the recovery tool to get back to W8.1 mobile and there is no other way to get back unless I do a factory reset? I assumed the recovery tool helped get you back to WP8 regardless of what version you were on?

As per the procedure below from this site I get stuck at step 3 in the first set of actions below. No matter how long I hold down the volume down key the phone keeps vibrating and then displaying the Nokia logo. Then the logo vanishes it vibrates again and displays the logo again. It seems to be rebooting again and again. Even if while holding the volume down button I connect it to the power outlet the same is happening.

By the way the download via the Windows recovery tool started to speed up but then slowed down again. I don't mind going back to Windows phone 8.1 I just need to get back to something that works. Any help would be appreciated.

1.Turn off the phone.
2.Press the Power key to turn the phone on.
3.When the phone vibrates, immediately press and hold the Volume Down key.
4.Release Volume Down when exclamation mark ("!") appears on the display.
5.Connect the phone to the wall charger for the remainder of the reset process

Press the following keys in order: Note: Nothing will change on the screen while entering the sequence of buttons

1.Press the Volume Up key.
2.Press the Volume Down key.
3.Press the Power key.
4.Press the Volume Down key.
The phone will automatically reset.
During the reset, there will be two gears rotating on the display for up to 5 minutes, after which the display will go blank for about 30 seconds.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I did get an error on the 2nd build uploading. I just kept retrying and it finally was able to over wifi. It was being slow after the restart, so I did a couple soft resets. The outlook calender live tile was blank for a bit but I went into settings and switched some things off and now it's working. I noticed some extra settings in the developer area that i never seen before.

AmmoniaFlows

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

My error 0x80090005 comes after the builds have finished installing. After entering PIN, it displays the error, restricting access to the phone (Camera, Quiet hours, Flashlight, still work from Action Center). I am currently trying out AS147's solution. Lets see how that goes (currently in spinning cogs).

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Hi AmoniaFlows, what do you mean by "I did get an error on the 2nd build uploading. I just kept retrying and it finally was able to over wifi"
If you get the error there is no way you can get to the phone update (or any functions) on the phone to retry the 2nd build (I assume you mean 2nd update)?

If you got the spinning cogs did that happen after a hard reset? Can you tell me how you got the hard reset to work?

AmmoniaFlows

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I have fixed my error, however, it required flashing the phone to default. You will lose all your notifications by doing this. And you will lose stuff saved on the phone. (your SD memory would be intact). Follow the steps below;

1.Turn off the phone.
2.Press the Power key to turn the phone on.
3.When the phone vibrates, immediately press and hold the Volume Down key.
4.Release Volume Down when exclamation mark ("!") appears on the display.
5.Connect the phone to the wall charger for the remainder of the reset process

Press the following keys in order: Note: Nothing will change on the screen while entering the sequence of buttons

1.Press the Volume Up key.
2.Press the Volume Down key.
3.Press the Power key.
4.Press the Volume Down key.
The phone will automatically reset.
During the reset, there will be two gears rotating on the display and a progress bar, when progress bar is complete, the display will go blank and your phone would be reset..

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Hi ammoniaflows, I am glad to hear you are up and running again. However I am sure I am pressing the volume down button s soon as the phone vibrates (step 3) but I don't get the exclamation mark. How long do you need to hold the volume down button? Do you get the Nokia logo appear a few times first?

When it vibrates do you keep holding the power button and press the volume down button as well?
Last question, did you succeed in using the recovery tool and if so was it after the hard reset?

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

An update on my progress. As I haven't been able to hard reset the phone via the buttons I ran the recovery tool. It eventually downloaded the total files of 1.70GB!! It is now going through the build of the phone and currently about to do its first (of what I assume) to be many reboots. Fingers crossed...

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

My phone has rebooted! I went through the setup information (name, accounts, time zone, language etc.) and it is now restoring the backup I made yesterday. This backup was whilst on W10 mobile so I don't know how successful it will be at recovering my apps but I am not too worried. The important thing is my phone seems to be responsive. Fingers crossed and more updates soon.

as147

May 21, 2012
Visit site

YES! Phone is back at WP8.1 and now automatically downloading the previously installed apps. I will stick with WP8.1 I enjoyed W10 mobile but as the release version will be out soon I am happy to wait. I gave lots of feedback on W10 mobile anyway. Hope the above helps others.

akike

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I was not able to access start screen at all. I entered secure pin (not sim pin) after migrate was complete and got something went wrong dialog. The error code was bit different though than reported here took sceeenshot, but never managed to access it, so that code is lost �� Tried without sim etc. But eventually phone claimed I had entered pin code wrong.too many times, even though I had not entered anything. Now doing hard reset. Went from perfectly functioning 930 wp8.1 to this mess :( MS has much to improve. I have company phone with enforced security pin and pin on sim too. Had quite many tiles and folders on start screen also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans