I have had Win 10 installed on my devies for over a month can I now deleted any Win 7 or 8.1 files?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I understand your previous set up is preserved during a Win 10 upgrade but only for a month, that month has now expired for me so can I delete the previous Win 7 and 8.1 installs?

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It always depends on what you're trying to accomplish and do you know what you're doing...
I upgraded a tablet for my wife that only has a 64GB hard drive, so it was pretty full when I upgraded it. Since it came from her father, I deleted his user profile and the Windows.old folder and a couple apps in Add/Remove programs and it now has enough space to be usable.
You CAN go further than this, but is starts getting very risky.

UKSteve

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi stevesu, thanks for the reply but what I was thinking was what I have done before, click on C drive and bring up properties on there is a button to clean up system files, which Windows does, no fiddling about for me. It takes a few minutes to gather all of these files then you get the usual pop up 'do you want to delete these files?' but as I have usually done a registry back I just go ahead and say yes. So I wasn't considering digging down in the bowels of Windows just use a facility that has been around for ages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos