Windows 10 Upgrade with 7 Partitions??

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and downloaded the AOMEI Partition Assistant. It shows I have 7 partitions! Disk 1 GPT partitions:One ESP (FAT32), one DIAGS (FAT32), one no name (OTHER), one WINRETOOLS (NTFS), one C (BITLOCKER ENCRYPTED), one no name (NTFS), and one no name (NTFS).

The question is, are all these necessary? Can I delete some?

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't delete them just yet. Run Windows 10 for a while to make sure that your computer got properly registered with the Microsoft servers, so, that you don't have to worry about Windows 10 activation. In a week or 2, use the Windows 10 Download Tool in order to create yourself a W10 installation flash drive. Perform a clean installation with the option CUSTOM (ADVANCED), delete all partitions and let Windows 10 take care of it. This will then use your entire hard disk space except for a tiny few hundred MB partition which is reserved for the system.

If you do the above, make sure that you downloaded at least your network drivers from the computer manufacturer's website. In case Windows doesn't detect your network hardware after a clean install, you won't be able to access the internet and you need to be able to install those drivers. After that, you should get most of your drivers down via Windows update.

When performing the clean install, always use the SKIP function whenever you get prompted to insert your product key. It isn't needed. Your clean installation of W10 should automatically activate when you go online for the first time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05