Why is my screen content shaking during scrolling?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

why is screen content shaking during scrolling?

whatever content is on the screen when scrolled in any direction is blured and sort of shaking. Is it because of refresh rate of the screen, like in this youtube video called: Monitor Refresh Rate Compared with Examples 720p from NeoKronos44 (i cant post links here)? Shaking looks exactly like in the part, where text is scrolled with 30Hz refresh rate. Does it mean that Lumia 640 doesnt have puremotion (60Hz) screen when low-end Lumia 435 has!?! If it is, what is refresh rate of non-puremotion devices (30Hz or less?) and why is scrolled content shaking only when i drag my finger across the screen to scroll, but when i just flick the screen and let OS finish scrolling by itself it looks buttery smooth and doesnt shake?!? I know its a lot of question but i noticed it right when i bought my first windows phone device an it bugs me ever since. I never care for it on my previous android devices because they were laging in general but here when i have comparsion between smooth flick and shaki dragg scrolling it always catch my eye when i am using the device and i need to know what is the cause. Thank you for help

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: why is screen content shaking during scrolling?

Hello and welcome to Windows Central.

Since the momentum-based scrolling is smooth, then the issue you're referring to is most likely not caused by a slow screen refresh rate (the refresh rate is said to be 60Hz, which is more than enough). Rather, that could be a screen sensitivity issue. Similar concerns have been reported with the earlier versions of the Lumia 535 - a device notoriously known for its touch screen bugs.

Hence, you may want to do further testing with regards to the touch screen of your phone. Download something like "Hardware Tests" and test the touch responsiveness. Test for thescroll responsiveness as well as multi-touch. In my Lumia 1020, for example, it could register all of my 10 fingers with no problems.

You may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Hello and welcome to Windows Central.

Since the momentum-based scrolling is smooth, then the issue you're referring to is most likely not caused by a slow screen refresh rate (the refresh rate is said to be 60Hz, which is more than enough). Rather, that could be a screen sensitivity issue. Similar concerns have been reported with the earlier versions of the Lumia 535 - a device notoriously known for its touch screen bugs.

Hence, you may want to do further testing with regards to the touch screen of your phone. Download something like "Hardware Tests" and test the touch responsiveness. Test for thescroll responsiveness as well as multi-touch. In my Lumia 1020, for example, it could register all of my 10 fingers with no problems.

You may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread.

Thank you very very much you're the first who actually care to find the cause of this "issue". I've tried almost anything possible with my phone and also many other phones. The thing is that it's on all Lumia phones that I've tried in store, some Android devices (mostly cheaper ones) but not on iPhone, Apple has it covered somehow. I will post here if I found something with those hardware test apps you've mentioned. Thank you again and I hope for our further cooperation to find cause our fix of this phenomenon.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Thank you very very much you're the first who actually care to find the cause of this "issue". I've tried almost anything possible with my phone and also many other phones. The thing is that it's on all Lumia phones that I've tried in store, some Android devices (mostly cheaper ones) but not on iPhone, Apple has it covered somehow. I will post here if I found something with those hardware test apps you've mentioned. Thank you again and I hope for our further cooperation to find cause our fix of this phenomenon.

Are you the OP? or are you experiencing the same issue the OP was/is experiencing? (I had to ask since you already have 82 posts now, a lot if you're a new member.)

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Are you the OP? or are you experiencing the same issue the OP was/is experiencing? (I had to ask since you already have 82 posts now, a lot if you're a new member.)

You mean OP like Ondra Pac?k? Than yes its me, I'm not a new member I've posted this original question thinking that I'm logged in :D

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

:smile:

What other Lumia phones did you test in the store? I've only tested the demo unit of the L1020 in the stores here, and I can't remember seeing any blurring artifacts in the screen. But then, the L1020 is in a different class than the 640 (one is a lot older than the other, too).

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

:smile:

What other Lumia phones did you test in the store? I've only tested the demo unit of the L1020 in the stores here, and I can't remember seeing any blurring artifacts in the screen. But then, the L1020 is in a different class than the 640 (one is a lot older than the other, too).

I had Lumia 630 than I bought Lumia 640 (both dual SIM), than I've tried in store another Lumia 640, 640 XL, 730, 830, 930, 530, 435 (ironically it was least visible in this one even though it's low end phone) all of those behave the same (dragging finger = stutter X flick the screen = smooth). Than I've tried some Android phones: Samsung galaxy S3 mini, S4 mini, S4 and S5 all show this touch screen behavior. Samsung galaxy S6 (edge), note 4 and 5 were smooth even when I was scrolling by dragging finger across the screen. Than I've tested my friends iPhone 6 and it is by far smoothest experience. However I scroll on iPhone it's perfectly smooth.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Try testing the Lumia 950 or 950XL when it becomes available at your place - there have been reports that these two phones do not exhibit any lags or delays, not even the known "Resuming" interruptions in their predecessors.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Try testing the Lumia 950 or 950XL when it becomes available at your place - there have been reports that these two phones do not exhibit any lags or delays, not even the known "Resuming" interruptions in their predecessors.

Great I hope that same would apply to all windows phone after windows 10 mobile update :) I've tried preview and it feels somewhat better although I can still feel difference between flick and drag scroll, hope its not just placebo :) windows phone doesn't appear to be good choice for people with OCD, if only iPhone wasn't so expensive since it appears to be only phone there without any drawbacks and issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99