Will I be able to install W10 on a Lumia 635 512 RAM ?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It s something I dont quite understand. When windows will release the final version of Windows 10 for Mobiles, will it be availabe for my phone officially (Lumia 635 512 RAM) ? or the only option for me to update will it be through windows insider ? and the windows insider version will it be the same with the official version?

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
It s something I dont quite understand. When windows will release the final version of Windows 10 for Mobiles,
God knows, late October, early December....

will it be availabe for my phone officially (Lumia 635 512 RAM) ?
AFAIK yes, it is supported by insider program so there is no reason not to be supported for the final version as well, but I'll most probably think twice before installing it on 635 since it's one of the least powerful Windows phone out there although it is possible that they'll offer somehow striped down variant that will be more optimized for 512 MB devices...

or the only option for me to update will it be through windows insider ? and the windows insider version will it be the same with the official version?
Unlikely, insider builds are supposed to be at least one step ahead... even on slow ring..

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Unlikely, insider builds are supposed to be at least one step ahead... even on slow ring..

However, you can get on the Insider program to get Windows 10, then un-enroll from the program. That will stop you from getting the future builds, and you will then only update when the official Windows 10 updates. In this way, you can bypass the carrier and keep the "stable" version of Windows 10 on your phone.

And the 635 isn't one of the least powerful Windows Phones out there by a long shot. There are many Snapdragon 200 models that I wouldn't want to put it on, but that is supported as well.

The 635 is actually the most powerful of the 512MB devices, so if any 512MB device will run it, it will be this one. It's got the same processor and CPU/GPU speed as the Lumia 830 and Lumia 640/640XL, just less memory. Since Lumia 640 is on the front line to receive Windows 10 first, it's not the power, but the memory the 635 should be concerned about. However, with Microsoft's assurances that it will run well on 512MB devices, I don't see the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6