why cant i install Windows 10 technical preview on lumia 1320?

E

ezio

I already installed windows insider but when i go to check for updates it says my phone is upto date. Im already running lumia denim. 8.1 second update.

ezio11

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Actually i already did that n so i got windows 8.1 update 2 but when i went back to install 10 they are saying i already have latest software.. By the way i have seleted slow ring.

Steve Theguy

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I can get the update for my 1320, that's not a problem. I'm just wondering if I should even do it or not. Is it really worth it? I hear that there are alot of features that you can't disable on Windows 10 without it causing damage to your device. Like your location and Cortana. I literally never use them and think they're just a waste of battery processor and ram personally. Also, I've heard of quite a few glitches on the 1320 when using Windows 10. Help me out here!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Actually i already did that n so i got windows 8.1 update 2 but when i went back to install 10 they are saying i already have latest software.. By the way i have seleted slow ring.

The 1320 is unable to use the insider fast and slow rings. These are now locked down to those on the Redstone Builds, and unfortunately, not available on the 1320, which is a shame as I love my old girl! The 1320 is not officially available for the TH2 windows roll out. We are stuck with 8.1. You can join the insider release preview ring though, and .318 works well on the 1320.

The reason it's saying you have the latest software is due to the 1320 not being supported past 8.1. Shame, as they are a really nice device.

Steve Theguy

May 17, 2016
Visit site
You will only be able to select the insider release preview, as the 1320 is not officially supported now, beyond 8.1

Well, that's not entirely true. I actually updated my 1320 to 8.1 denim with the Preview for Developers app. Now when I go into the Windows INSIDER app (2 completely different apps both made by Microsoft) it will allow me to choose from the slow ring, fast ring, and the insider release preview. By the way, Denim is so much better than Cyan, just fyi.
But, if these rings ARE on Red Build as you say, and no longer support the 1320, then I would really strongly suggest against upgrading the 1320 to Windows 10 this way. I would search for a way to install the specific Win 10 Build 10581 with your PC if you are indeed going to try this. This is the one I was searching for a way to upgrade too. There are quite a few users with this build version on their 1320 with very little to no problems with it whatsoever. But then again, there is always the danger that even that build will not work for your phone, and you could break it, or render it useless. ;)

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, that's not entirely true. I actually updated my 1320 to 8.1 denim with the Preview for Developers app. Now when I go into the Windows INSIDER app (2 completely different apps both made by Microsoft) it will allow me to choose from the slow ring, fast ring, and the insider release preview. By the way, Denim is so much better than Cyan, just fyi.
But, if these rings ARE on Red Build as you say, and no longer support the 1320, then I would really strongly suggest against upgrading the 1320 to Windows 10 this way. I would search for a way to install the specific Win 10 Build 10581 with your PC if you are indeed going to try this. This is the one I was searching for a way to upgrade too. There are quite a few users with this build version on their 1320 with very little to no problems with it whatsoever. But then again, there is always the danger that even that build will not work for your phone, and you could break it, or render it useless. ;)

I feel you may have 'misunderstood' what I was getting at. The fab 1320 is NOT officially supported on Win 10, although at your own risk, you can tinker with the release preview for TH2, 10586.XXX. The 1320 copes admirably with the latest build, which has been unleashed as an OTA update for supported devices.

In life there are always methods to get around things. Some delve into registries, and some choose alternative methods. Can you download from the Fast / Slow ring? Many have gotten that far, only to get the message 'your device is not supported' message.

Yes, I am aware, FYI, of how good the denim update is :wink: I love my old 1320. I am just as happy with that as I am my 950's and 950xl's. I wouldn't even consider upgrading my 1320 past 10586.XXX. I wouldn't entertain playing with the registry, or any other workaround. It's a three year old device, and as such, is now 'tech' redundant.

I'm still unsure as to what was untrue in my post. I've double checked and the 1320 isn't 'officially' supported on Win 10 with OTA updates, along with many other models.

Last edited:

Steve Theguy

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I feel you may have 'misunderstood' what I was getting at. The fab 1320 is NOT officially supported on Win 10, although at your own risk, you can tinker with the release preview for TH2, 10586.XXX. The 1320 copes admirably with the latest build, which has been unleashed as an OTA update for supported devices.

In life there are always methods to get around things. Some delve into registries, and some choose alternative methods. Can you download from the Fast / Slow ring? Many have gotten that far, only to get the message 'your device is not supported' message.

Yes, I am aware, FYI, of how good the denim update is :wink: I love my old 1320. I am just as happy with that as I am my 950's and 950xl's. I wouldn't even consider upgrading my 1320 past 10586.XXX. I wouldn't entertain playing with the registry, or any other workaround. It's a three year old device, and as such, is now 'tech' redundant.

I'm still unsure as to what was untrue in my post. I've double checked and the 1320 isn't 'officially' supported on Win 10 with OTA updates, along with many other models.

My bad, I thought that you were implying that you couldn't go beyond 8.1 on the 1320 WITH the insider app. Sorry if I misunderstood what you said. Yes, you're right. Windows 10 isn't 'Officially' supported on the 1320. I'm also pretty happy with my device and where it's at right now as well, and it's kinda my only device right now, so I'd rather not chance breaking it by trying to update to Windows 10 via the insider app. So no, I guess I wouldn't actually know if it can download it or not, and now you just helped answer my question about whether or not to update. Thanks Lol.
Well, I guess if I ever do decide to upgrade to 10, I'll just buy a new phone, probably the 1520. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me, I completely misunderstood what you said there before, and sorry again for any inconvenience I may have caused. I'm still a little green in some areas, but I am learning. I mean, we all have to start somewhere, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99