Windows updates - Computer boots up on it's own and installs updates, how can I stop it doing updates on it's own?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows updates - Computer boots up own it's own and installs updates

Every time there is a windows update, my computer turns itself on and installs the update on its own. It's really annoying when I leave my home for a few days and come back to find the computer on at the log-in screen. How can I make it so the computer doesn't automatically turn itself on and install the updates?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows updates - Computer boots up own it's own and installs updates

In your PC settings, try setting Windows update to anything except "Automatic". However, with this setting change, you would need to regularly check for updates to ensure that your PC is up-to-date with regards to security.

You may create a Windows Central account to provide us with more information: what OS version are you referring to?

STLE

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

I apologize I forgot to add. This has only been happening once I upgraded to Windows 10. I already went through my settings and pretty much turned off automatic updates. Are there any fixes to this?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Are you shutting your computer down completely, or just letting it sleep or hibernate?

I've seen an option in the BIOS settings to toggle auto-wake up feature, but the BIOS is brand specific and the settings are not the same for all - it may be worth considering that angle.

STLE

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm shutting down completely. I've unchecked everything automatic in the settings and made sure my bios isnt' set to auto-boot. It happened this weekend, the computer was on when I got home and again there were updates installed.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's strange then, although I've read about a similar issue about once or twice here in the forums. Personally, I haven't experienced that (and I've been using Windows 10 since August 1). If you say that you've already checked all the settings, then I guess the only way to prevent your computer from automatically booting up is to really cut the power from it (unplug if desktop, remove battery and unplug if laptop).

Anand Nayak

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Some of the updates are not getting downloaded and its more than a week now...the message says "..Waiting for download.." but nothing seems to happen. Any suggestions ? Attached is the screen shot..
Updates.PNG

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what's going on (not yet at least). Have you tried using System restore to restore your PC to some earlier Windows 10 state? This is NOT the same as going back to Windows 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills