What are the software limitations of Windows Mobile 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Just switched from a Lumia 930 to a Galaxy Note 5 because I wasn't going to wait for the 950/XL which won't even have Snapchat, etc. Having said that though, there are many things I dislike about Android but many things I'm starting to appreciate. I immediately installed all the MS apps and Arrow Launcher after purchase, so already seems better than if I stayed on WP, minus some software features I've become accustomed to.

But the biggest question I have after using it, is what are the software limitations of the Windows Mobile OS in terms of widgets and other (active) application features?

Widgets seem like the biggest selling point for Android and in many ways seem to be the ideal way to interact with live tiles on Windows, at least until the 3D touch stuff that has been discussed in the past comes to life.

When using the Facebook Chat app (which is also on WP) there is an option for a message thread bubble that can be moved around the screen for quick access to a specific conversation. Immediately I began to wonder if MS even allows devs/gives them the ability to implement such a feature into the OS as seamlessly as can be found on Android (or iOS for that matter).

If anybody could offer some insight into this I would greatly appreciate it as I would love to return to WM after my contract but if apps and features like this will still be missing I really don't see the point.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android is like desktop Windows in that apps can do a lot more, like how Messenger can have those bubbles over another application. iOS and Windows Phone don't allow apps to do that.

Its just a different set of compromises. Freedom can go multiple ways like Android's relative security issues but apps can do much more with the phone. The two aforementioned OSes instead choose a more "good enough" approach, which more emphasis on containing apps.

Also I think its hard to list it all, since it depends. multitasking is more limited like iOS, etc.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Android is like desktop Windows in that apps can do a lot more, like how Messenger can have those bubbles over another application. iOS and Windows Phone don't allow apps to do that.

Its just a different set of compromises. Freedom can go multiple ways like Android's relative security issues but apps can do much more with the phone. The two aforementioned OSes instead choose a more "good enough" approach, which more emphasis on containing apps.

Also I think its hard to list it all, since it depends. multitasking is more limited like iOS, etc.

The irony there, I always wanted a "true" Windows phone ;) just like desktop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss