Can I change my MS account email

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks! Does anyone know if there's way to change the email associated with my MS account. I don't want to create a new account because of the paid apps I've bought. The closest answer I've found was to create a new alias, but it doesn't work with a preexisting email, since I keep getting the error that it's already being used.

I've searched online but haven't been able to find a proper answer. Is there a way to do this or am I stuck with either my current email or repurchasing all the apps?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks much!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you already knew below.

An alias is another email address that you can use to sign into those Microsoft devices. You get the option to add another email address (Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc) as an alias, so long as it?s not already associated with a Microsoft account. There?s also the option to create a new email (outlook.com) address and use it as an alias.

And merge ms accounts is not possible as far as I know.

Good luck.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is with the aliasing... You need to get them uncoupled from your Outlook. If they one you want to move to is NOT an alias you do this via your Microsoft Account, NOT your Outlook.

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using an alias. It's 2 completely separate email accounts

Would it work if I switched the primary email to a non MS email, wait a few days and switch it back to my preferred MS account? Or would I be stuck with the "account already used" message?

This is more complicated than it needs to be. I just want to switch my email address and not lose my purchased apps. 😐

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You could start a throwaway off Msft, like Yahoo or somewhat. Make that Prime and let it take effect. Then delete the old Prime you no longer want.

Then add in the Msft email addy you do want and make it Prime. Let that take effect, delete the throwaway and abandon it when all is clearly well.

A bit of work, but a workaround. Maybe about a week or ten days all told?

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Btw, do you know if I delete my current primary MS email from the account, it just removes it from the account and not deleting the whole email with all my emails and what not, right?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Btw, do you know if I delete my current primary MS email from the account, it just removes it from the account and not deleting the whole email with all my emails and what not, right?

Right. Just uncouples it from Msft Acct ownership. You still have it as a mail box with messages intact.

But don't delete it from there until the 48 hr wait to make sure all parts of your Msft Acct migrates to the new addy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre