Why can't I reinstall Direct X (causing a ton of errors)?

Frawsty Fyre

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Can't Reinstall Direct X (causing a ton of errors)

I believe I need to reinstall direct X on windows 10. When my screensaver is supposed to run

(which I previously had no problems with) it tells me that either (I hve gotten 2 messages)

Direct X is not installed, or Direct X Runtime is not functioning properly and a dll is

missing. My OS has stopped allowing me to access add or remove programs so I cannot uninstall

it. When I download the install file and try to run it it says I am running a newer version

already and an install is not needed. Even AVG and avast say I have the newest version

installed. I believe this was caused when I tried to install a game on my computer (which I

also cannot uninstall without reaching the menu). The game just flashes which is very bad

because I am epileptic but I assume it is some kind of campatibility issue with my video card

or driver and I can't seem to fix it in any way so I need to get rid of it. My computer says I

have the newest drivers and I cannot check the exact specs of my intel series chipset because

the checker I downloaded from the intel website will not run in windows 10 (so I cannot

properly troubleshoot the game). Also, when I click the link on the windows website to

download directx it just sends me to a page advertising that I should upgrade to windows 10 -

which I already have! So I was forced to download it from a third-party site just to hear that

I already have it installed so now I need to get rid of their dumb installer program also. So I

have a few questions:

1. Why can't I access my add or remove programs anymore? I hve tried typing it into the search

box and the option does appear but when I click on it it sends me to apps and features.

2. How do I uninstall this game?

3. How do I find out the specs of my video card so I have them for future reference?

4. Where is the proper link to download direct x from the windows website?

5. It says I can only access the latest windows 10 version through windows updates directly,

but I can't seem to navigate to the option to do so when I open the windows update settings.

How do I do this?

I feel like I am forgetting one of my questions but I just woke up and am having a very bad

day. Could someone help me please? If windows 10 keeps it up with all the problems I have had,

i am going to reinstall 7 and I would rather not be left in the dust when it comes to new

features.

Now when I try to run the run-time package it says installation failed. WHAT is going on here?

Anyone who helps will get a free hug and a cookie.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can't Reinstall Direct X (causing a ton of errors)

I like cookies and all, but I'm not sure how much help anyone will be able to give you on this particular topic.

Here's the problem. DirectX12 is new. It gives a number of "12" for the version number.

Games, screensavers, etc. are coded to make sure you have the proper version of DirectX. Unfortunately, there are a lot of computer coders with limited sight, and instead of making sure the DirectX is greater than or equal to DirectX9, they just say, Is it 9, 10, or 11? That's fine for people running 9, 10, and 11, but as DirectX12 is out, and DirectX12 is backwards compatible with all prior versions, those programs no longer recognize it as being compatible, because they assume it is one of the OLD versions. It's like the Y2K issues a number of years ago. Programmers with no vision.

Now, that explains the problem, but what is the solution? I don't know. The programmers need to update the code, and it isn't likely, to be honest, unless it is fairly recent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss