HERE Maps broken and gone from store

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I noticed my here app lost its transparent tile and upon launch it warned me to use a newer version and wouldn't launch. Windows store doesn't even show the HERE app!!! Does it mean that a new UWP is coming out or did MSFT ditch HERE, god forbid?

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
the default "Maps" app that is preinstalled is "HERE" maps. I can not tell any difference between them, open "Maps" and click on "about". It says HERE Maps.

I do see one big difference. Windows maps uses favorites you have added in Cortana's notebook and not those from your HERE accnt. But it appears that windows uses HERE maps as its data source. It used the same download map file.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
what about for driving navigation?

does maps keep your favourites from HERE?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Nope. Not for me. Windows maps uses as your favorites any location you have added in Cortana, under her Places section of her notebook.
HERE has its own library when you sign up into it using the old Nokia accnt.s fast as I can tell they don't sync.🙁

Last edited:

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
You can use "Maps" for navigation too. It is identical to HERE Drive. While I did not use favorites on my Nokia account I do use them on Cortana so it is better for me. Just to be clear here MS Maps is a clone of HERE Maps and HERE Drive.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
You can use "Maps" for navigation too. It is identical to HERE Drive. While I did not use favorites on my Nokia account I do use them on Cortana so it is better for me. Just to be clear here MS Maps is a clone of HERE Maps and HERE Drive.

Windows maps is not even close. Although it is the same offline mapping file, it is a bare bones app.
You cannot adjust speed limit warnings for highways and school zones, you cannot tweak navigation routes to avoid tollways, etc., you cannot set up your commute as a live tile to glance at your traffic every morning as I did until yesterday. HERE was awesome. Windows maps reminds me of the time when Apple released their first maps, half baked...

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I never used those features, did not know they were there but you are correct. I am fine with MS Maps but if I do not need additional features. Has anyone heard when HERE will be back in Windows store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes