What is 'Listening'?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi All, long term Nokia user here. I have the 830 and overall I like it, but for some reason a 'listening' feature pops up, even at times when I'm not doing anything. I don't know if it's a bug, a virus or what, but I was considering removing it by going back to factory setting and re-installing my phone. Any ideas why it's happening?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That depends on where and when you're seeing it. It's probably not a virus, but it could be a bug. We need more information to be certain.

You may create a Windows Central account to Reply with more details.

dmmr64

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I've registered now. More details? OK, If I'm using my browser (IE) sometimes the listening app/programme takes over, and I have to hit the back button to get back where I was. If I leave it a voice says 'sorry, I'm unable to recognise " etc etc

Also, is mix radio down, it's stopped working for me

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I mean, does it appear above your keyboard, or does it appear whole-screen?

Are you accidentally touching the searching icon in the navigation bar (the magnifying glass at the bottom-most right corner of your phone)?

dmmr64

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
it appears full screen, and I make sure I'm not touching anything, also sometime BING just appears as well

I think it's something suspicious as I received a text from my phone company today saying I've used 80% of data so far this month which is strange, I don't really watch videos, plus I have wifi at home

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Listening is a Cortana mode triggered by holding down the Search button (magnifying glass icon). It is voice input mode. That is why you sometimes see Bing. It is following through on a search request it thought you wanted.

Try a Soft Reset if it is triggering without touching the button.

Make sure to clean that area of your device.

If none of that works, do a factory reset to help rule out hardware. If it still persists, seek repair for a bad capacitive button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte