Extremely high intermittent disk usage, is there a remedy for this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Extremely high intermittent disk usage

Hello,

From sometime in October, after an update, there have been periods, sometimes intermittent, sometime persisting for a long time, when Disk usage spikes up to 100%, and makes a lot of things unusable.

I did some researching, and disabled a bunch of stuff, like Windows notifications, Windows search, background intelligent transfer and superfetch, even OneDrive, but even on Windows 10 version 1511, Disk usage spikes to 100%, the offending application / service being anything from System to memory compression to 3rd party applications...

This is becoming extremely irritating, a my video playback or something else stutters a lot when disk usage jumps up, often at chronic levels, then backs down, or stays at that usage for some time.

Could anyone suggest a remedy for this? I have run out of ideas, barring a system reset...it used to work fine before an update in mid - October.

Thanks a lot.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
See under windows defender if your system requires a scan. You may need to do a full scan. Don't turn off services like superfetch or you will be sorry. Disable only third party services in task manager under start up. But don't disable ms services. There's obviously some scanning occurring. You can also run a defrag.

Also check your event viewer. Ms could be gathering any internal crashes or anything else the system is reporting and sending the info back to them. This would simply be crash data and is not linked to you as a user in any way.

And if you have a separate av installed... Well good luck lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium