Can I disable Windows 10 updates?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Yesterday I worked for hours on a final paper for grad school. I left my computer on overnight and while at work. This evening, when I started it back up, it had a pulsing blue screen telling me it had done an update but, not to worry, all of my files have been saved. They were not. Everything I had done for the past 24+ hours is gone on my document and I am starting with a skeleton of notes that I had two days ago. (Yes, I hit save before I went to bed, but the file was open. There were no recovery files and I have now checked the box asking Word 2007 to create a draft for me going forward.)

I want to be forewarned before updates in the future. This loss of work and even of browser tabs that I had open in doing my research is beyond frustrating. Online searches have not rendered me a way to just be warned before an update to be able to plan or schedule accordingly. Please offer some advice if you have any!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi, while I don't know how to do it, it is possible to disable the Windows Update service. This is something I am contemplating doing myself since I've got two devices stuck on Windows 8.1 home and I don't want forced updates on 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans