Why when i hook up another pc to the monitor nothing comes on the screen

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I tried to hook up another PC to my monitor to check if it was in good working condition. The PC turned on but nothing came up on the screen

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
You did not state, but I assume you are using Windows 8.1 or 10.

On windows 8.1 and 10, it doesn't immediately extend the screen when physically connected, so you do need to check if it is so in the settings.

Second thing to check,it whether the Monitor is recognized in the Device Manager -> Monitors.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, so you might not be connecting a second monitor. In that case it's important to know whether the Display Adapter is built-in the motherboard or not.

In case of a built-in one, it usually indicates a broken adapter. In the case of it not being built-in, you should first check if it's well connected to the motherboard.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried to hook up another PC to my monitor to check if it was in good working condition. The PC turned on but nothing came up on the screen

This is a bit unclear. Were you checking if the monitor was in good working condition? Or this other PC?

If you were checking another PC to see if it was working, then if there is more than one graphics port on that PC, you may try a different port. If not, it could be a bad PC if you know the monitor is working prior.

If you were testing the monitor and you KNOW the PC was working fine, then more than likely you have a bad monitor.

Something is amiss somewhere.

There are so many reasons for a PC turning on without the screen displaying anything, but it is not an issue with the operating system, because the monitor would have at least displayed SOMETHING before trying to boot the OS. More than likely it is an issue with the graphics system on the PC. I've also seen power supplies on PCs go bad to the point that the fan on the power supply would still turn making it appear that the PC was on, but it never supplied power to the board. There are many, many possibilities here, and it should be checked by a qualified local technician.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)