Can a no-google device be created using Cyanogen and Microsoft?

RHoudek

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I want to experiment with Cyanogen and see how Microsoft is shaping its tools on other platforms. Can I use Cyanogen without any Google linkage? Has anyone had any success at creating a non-google phone using Microsoft's tools? I guess another way to word it could be: has anyone had any success at creating a windows phone-less windows phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes its possible, but you're going to have some issues (potentially deal-breaking) without Google Play services and such.
What I plan on doing is picking up a cheaper Galaxy to try in a few days, load up CM and keep Google around for the services and apps, MS everything else.
Like I currently do on my iPhone. Apple runs the phone specific stuff, MS handles just about everything else. (email, bookmarks, etc. - although I did move cloud storage and photo upload to Dropbox)

There may be of interest:

Google?s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica
Neither Microsoft, Nokia, nor anyone else should fork Android. It?s unforkable. | Ars Technica

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My next experiment involves a dedicated Firefox OS phone. I'm going to see how Microsoftized I can make it. Since it is basically an HTML5 machine that is web-centric I think I'll be alright. There should be some things in the store, but mostly I'll pin websites as Apps. Like Office Online and the Skype Beta for browser.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

I plan on posting my experiences in the other OS section. Other OS's and Devices - Windows Central Forums

I'm definitely staying Google free on this device. LOL Firefox OS is supposed to be privacy forward.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what I exactly did with my nexus 5. I installed CM12.1 with BlackBerry Apps and everything else Microsoft. I still have Play Store just for the apps. Google Now replaced by Cortana, centralized Bing experience (default search engine, daily wallpaper), Opera as default browser (since there's no Edge on android and MS has partnership with Opera).

Basically it's a Nexus phone powered by CyanogenMod at its core, coated with BlackBerry experience and topped with Microsoft services. You can't go wrong with this recipe, surely this would be the ideal business-class-locked-down-consumer-friendly smartphone if it had DTEK.

Screenshot_2016-01-08-10-00-04.jpgScreenshot_2016-01-08-10-00-15.jpgScreenshot_2016-01-08-10-00-30.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234