Black Screen on Windows 10? After logging in I can only see my start button.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Every time I enter my password my screen just goes black with only my cursor visible, after about an hour or so my start menu was visible but I still couldn't do anything. Everything was black and empty. Is there a fix for this? I'm attempting a system restore/restart but if that does not work what are my options?

Also whenever I do open up my computer it says something about a media failure. I'm not sure if this is in regards to my graphics card as it tells me the card itself is running fine.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series.

PS: Is there an easier way to access the troubleshooting menu? It took me an hour to access it no matter how many times I pressed the function keys, it only seems to open whenever I constantly force reset my computer...

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Something is stopping explorer.exe from successfully launching at startup.
Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager, kill explorer.exe and run explorer.exe again, like Zane said.
Try doing a clean start-up by disabling all startup apps and non-MS services from msconfig. If that does not work, and in-place repair with the Windows 10 ISO file should fix everything.

Also, run Hitman Pro once. Just to check that your system is free from any sort of malware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs