What happened to Cortana?

W

WPCentral Question

When I first started using Windows 10 in November, Cortana would play music through my default app, Winamp, without any problem. She still plays the next song, previous song, and presses pause, but will not play, shuffle, or open the music just by voice command. Now, however, Cortana always tries to open Groove music and then Groove crashes! Even if I open Groove without activating it through Cortana, it does not work. I am confused and I have tried nearly every troubleshoot I could find on every website! Resetting Cortana does not work, changing my default music app does not work, changing the file extentions back to .wpl doesn't work (they're almost all mp3 files), and I don't know what to do!

This has been happening since probably mid-December and I have found no solution.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You could try removing Groove if you have other uses for it: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...w-remove-uninstallable-apps-windows-10-a.html Note that this will remove Groove and also Movies & TV as they seem to be one appx bundle.

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made. Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Cristine B

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so I removed Groove as you've suggested and now Cortana just doesn't do anything. It registers the voice command, but it just sits on the command window because it can't launch a non-existent process. So now when I tell it to shuffle, it does nothing; when I tell it to play music, it launches a search on the browser.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well this stinks... I've been over it six different ways including reinstall of Groove with various Powershell commands to remove the appx.

Seems beyond my skill set and many another's as well.

FWIW I never used Cortana for launching music so I did not know of the residual effect after removing Groove until now.

I'll keep looking though. This sort of thing drives me nuts.

Cristine B

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I've searched through every site I can find so far and nothing works. File associations, changing default player, disabling Cortana/re-enable wipe-type, and a few other things that have been suggested, including yours have all failed. I'm not sure exactly what day it stopped working because I wasn't using it too often. However, in November, I'd found more fun in having my headset on and randomly starting a song to scare the hell out of my roommate. :cool: Now that I'm actually just trying to listen to music in between people coming in and out of mumble, it stops functioning. Instead of "pause", Cortana "stops", therefore I can't order her to "play". If you find some solution though, please share, it's highly irritating to have such a nice function just stop working.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes