Why is windows locking my SD card?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After some time my Lumia 535 "locks"(write-protect's) my sd card and i didn't have any problems ever with any sd card util i switch'd to windows phone, then it started lock away my sd cards rendering them useless meaning i can't put or delete any data from in it and im 100% sure windows is causing the problem

im running the latest version of windows 8.1

i really like the phone but i need my sd cards so please HELP!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It is NOT the phone - all modern SD Cards have this "auto-lock" feature when it starts to "fail", the purpose of which is to prevent data loss. Essentially when a storage device starts to fail, there is a huge risk of not being able to recover the data stored in there (because of physical or chemical damage to the storing mechanism, whether it is an HDD or SDD). Auto-write protecting the card prevents further damage by preventing additional re-writes to be done on your SD Card.

So, it's not the phone - it's just time to get a new SD Card.

You may create a Windows Central account to Reply in this thread.

TheLoveColector

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
the sd card is BRAND NEW! i was used for less than a month and then it locked its self. Then lucky i had a one moth warranty and the 2nd one after a month locked its self up same thing... i have never had this problem on android.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not knowledgeable on which SD Cards are more reliable than the rest - I personally don't want to use SD Cards as a storage media because I know they are more unstable than the main phone storage. You may want to try a different brand, but do some reading first as to which one will be the best for your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720