Why do my fans (CPU and cooling) stop when I boot up Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello Windows community,

I recently acquired a Fujitsu W410 (all stats can be found with a simple google search, everything in the system is stock). The problem with this system is that when I turn on the PC running Windows 10 all the fans turn off. I had a look in the BIOS and tried several fan settings, nothing seems too work when I then entered into the OS. However, within the BIOS system all fans seem to function normally. The fans ONLY stop working as soon as the Windows 10 logo appears. Help would be much appreciated as I failed to find anything related to this issue.

Thanks,

- Will

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Uh, do the fans start up again at any time during use?

I know on many modern laptops and such (I realize we're talking about a desktop however) the fans run when needed and adjust speed in real-time.

Teewim

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
During use the fans don't run at all, however, I just figured out that within the BIOS there are three fan settings (Auto, Disable and Enhanced). It seems that the system only responds to the Disabled setting, the problem with this is that the system fans run at full capacity. So now I am stuck with either no fans or maximum RPM. Strange.

Teewim

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
at 5cent

I did monitor the temperatures they fluctuate between 40 degrees at startup and just over 60 degrees at idle, the maximum temperature for the CPU (i7 2600) is 72 degrees. This can't be right.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
a5cent

I did monitor the temperatures they fluctuate between 40 degrees at startup and just over 60 degrees at idle, the maximum temperature for the CPU (i7 2600) is 72 degrees. This can't be right.
Why not?

I'm not saying there is definitely nothing wrong with your fans (there might be). However, at 60 degrees there is absolutely NO risk of anything happening to your CPU and therefore no reason to waste electricity on spinning fans or generating unwanted noise.

It's only at around 90 degrees where cooling becomes critical. A CPU that is guaranteed to never go above 72 degrees could be run fanless and silent (although you'd still want the fans to get rid of dust).

I'd install the program speedfan and see if you can control the fans under W10 that way. If you can, there is nothing wrong. Spinning them is just being deemed unnecessary. If you feel it's necessary, you could also use speedfan to specify a more aggressive cooling profile.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Hmm, sometimes OEMs include proprietary approaches to controlling motherboard components, but that could also indicate something really is wrong.

Have you flashed to the latest firmware, and have you installed/updated the latest drivers after moving to W10?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)