i downloaded windows 10 and now cant open a file

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a word file with a resume that will not open. It asks me what to open it with or go to the app store to download a file to open it

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A couple of details, please... But I'll also try to solve the puzzle. :winktongue:

Is this document from Word or some other word processor program?

If it is Word, is it from a version before 2007?

Do you indeed have a word processing program installed?

The last is easiest. As Mesbah says, install the program if you need to.

If your document is pre-2007 it would end .doc for a file type. You may need the compatibility pack: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...wnload%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D3&token=AuB7tsFM This may have been added on to your system before you upgraded to Windows 10. It wouldn't necessarily have followed along depending on how you installed 10 on your system.

If it is from some other word processing program, or none of the above helped... Go to your search box on taskbar and type in "wordpad." > click on the "WordPad desktop app" result.

WhenWordPad opens, click file > open > and navigate to your document. Note that not all formatting will carry over. But you could review, edit and print.

Also you could sign into OneDrive. Upload the document and open it from there with Word Online. You could review, edit and print.

Good luck with the job hunting. Hope we got you up and running for now.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise