Does an Windows 10 build upgrade installs a new WinRE?

charles_milette

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I stupidly erased my WinRE. So I'm asking myself, since I'm on Insider Preview, will the next build install a new WinRE? If not, how can I restore it without manually messing around with files and "reagentc" ?

Can someone help me?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Was the recovery environment pre-installed by an OEM, if so nope insider builds won't reinstall such an environment. However certain OEM's actually allow you recreate a recovery partition such as ASUS. You can however use the advanced diagnostic tools on the installation media (command prompt) to run commands such as fixboot, fixmbr, fix the boot configuration data (bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd), run diskpart and so on.

charles_milette

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The WinRE I'm speaking about is the one in Windows that allows automatic repair and advanced diagnostic tools (like command prompt). Not the OEM reset partition. I don't have this one since I never used the integrated Windows, I installed one with a CD and erased all old partitions before.

While erasing WinRE, I also erased my EFI partition, that I restored using bcdedit. fixboot, fixmbr and bootrec are for BIOS systems, while I'm on a UEFI system.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The WinRE I'm speaking about is the one in Windows that allows automatic repair and advanced diagnostic tools (like command prompt). Not the OEM reset partition. I don't have this one since I never used the integrated Windows, I installed one with a CD and erased all old partitions before.

I see, your referring to the advanced system recovery tools.

While erasing WinRE, I also erased my EFI partition, that I restored using bcdedit. fixboot, fixmbr and bootrec are for BIOS systems, while I'm on a UEFI system.

Makes sense now, I presume your using GPT as after all you are using UEFI and made reference to a EFI partition?
so it might do as the windows install did create a EFI and OEM partition on my SSD automatically when I installed Windows 10 on it, however don't quote me on that as I have always dual booted but not run preview builds as a sole installation.

I've always used the tools on the installation media for repair / diagnostics primarily because I did encounter an issue with a root kit way back with W7. It kept embedding itself into the install (it had embedded itself into the small boot partition), so now I just keep a usb dedicated for recovery and repair.

charles_milette

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm using GPT. Since the WinRE image is absent, all those options (automatic repair, etc) are not visible is the advanced restart. I'd appreciate if you install Windows 10 build 10240, format this partition to NTFS:
Capture.PNG
"reagentc /info" should now show something like that:
Informations sur la configuration de l?Environnement de r?cup?ration
Windows (WinRE) et la r?initialisation du syst?me :

?tat WinRE : Disabled
Emplacement WinRE :
Identificateur des donn?es de configuration du d?marrage (BCD) : f63ef3e3-6895-11e5-845e-f5deace757bc
Emplacement de l?image de r?cup?ration :
Index de l?image de r?cup?ration : 0
Emplacement de l?image personnalis?e :
Index de l?image personnalis?e : 0

REAGENTC.EXE : op?ration r?ussie.
and then do the November update, and see if WinRE is enabled.

For now, I can't check for myself, because I only have one computer, I need it for school, plus I have a limited bandwidth. I'm on the slow branch, so I haven't got a new build since I accidentally formatted the WinRE partition.

If it don't restores WinRE, I think I'll then do a reinstall of Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon