I bought a LUMIA 640XL a few days ago. And now I want to transfer all of my data from my old Lumia 620 to my new Lumia.
    I can transfer the pictures, videos and music and other documents using the SD card but what about the apps?
    Will I have to manually find the apps on the store and also install all the apps to my new Lumia? There's also the risk of losing all the app data.
    There's gotta be a better and a faster/safer way to do this.
    02-22-2016 08:17 AM
    There is a backup option in settings. That saves your start layout, email account settings, and some app data. If you have also enabled saving of text messages and photos to onedrive, they will be there. If you don't want photos saved to onedrive you'll need to manually copy them over.

Once you have a backup, startup the new phone and restore the backup. You'll still have to manually setup a few things but most of it should be there.
    Laura Knotek and Fire 29 like this.
    02-22-2016 09:39 AM
    There is a backup option in settings. That saves your start layout, email account settings, and some app data. If you have also enabled saving of text messages and photos to onedrive, they will be there. If you don't want photos saved to onedrive you'll need to manually copy them over.

Once you have a backup, startup the new phone and restore the backup. You'll still have to manually setup a few things but most of it should be there.

I did most of that but I want my apps to automatically start downloading and installing on my new phone. I mean, my Microsoft account knows which apps I have installed or owned. I shouldn't have to manually go through the cumbersome process myself.
    Like if I have 30 apps installed on my old Lumia, I shouldn't have to install all those myself on my new Lumia.
    02-22-2016 10:11 AM
    You don't have to manually install apps. When you restore the backup during initial setup, it includes the list of apps that were installed when the backup was made. Those will download and install automatically.
    Fire 29 likes this.
    02-22-2016 11:04 AM
    You don't have to manually install apps. When you restore the backup during initial setup, it includes the list of apps that were installed when the backup was made. Those will download and install automatically.

Thanks. Most of the apps downloaded and installed automatically. 😊
    03-31-2016 09:36 AM
    Thanks. Most of the apps downloaded and installed automatically.
    So finally you have your 640XL, congratulations! Now tell us a bit more about how your badminton and soccer activities are...of course in the regular chat thread.
    03-31-2016 09:47 AM