Will MS ever fix GPS location update problem?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Here is the problem:

1. Update your phone to 8.1
2. Use any application that uses GPS location

Result
GPS locks on fine initially (shows you the current location), but then your location is not updated (not at all or updates every few minutes), making any turn-by-turn direction assistance application useless.

Based on reading through the forum, this seems to be a fairly common problem across all Lumia models (I have a 1520).

Only recommended solution is a hard reset and that does not work (I have done it multiple times, and many others report the same thing).

This is obviously a problem with a GPS driver that shipped with 8.1. MS has not even acknowledged that this is a problem and my frustration is growing. I even signed up for Windows Insider program to see if Windows 10 driver will fix it, but no dice (it actually made my device worse - my PC wouldn't even recognize it).

I really love my device, but without GPS, this thing is going to the trash. I cannot express how disappointed I am with this. I guess sticking with WP is just foolish. Time to move over to Android.

If you are experiencing the same problem, you are not crazy and you are not alone. But MS does not care.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is the problem:

1. Update your phone to 8.1
2. Use any application that uses GPS location

Result
GPS locks on fine initially (shows you the current location), but then your location is not updated (not at all or updates every few minutes), making any turn-by-turn direction assistance application useless.

Based on reading through the forum, this seems to be a fairly common problem across all Lumia models (I have a 1520).

Only recommended solution is a hard reset and that does not work (I have done it multiple times, and many others report the same thing).

This is obviously a problem with a GPS driver that shipped with 8.1. MS has not even acknowledged that this is a problem and my frustration is growing. I even signed up for Windows Insider program to see if Windows 10 driver will fix it, but no dice (it actually made my device worse - my PC wouldn't even recognize it).

I really love my device, but without GPS, this thing is going to the trash. I cannot express how disappointed I am with this. I guess sticking with WP is just foolish. Time to move over to Android.

If you are experiencing the same problem, you are not crazy and you are not alone. But MS does not care.

mine updates fine when I'm walking and checking progress (L1020)

try the official windows 10 mobile upgrade

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3