Outlook app displays Google Mail

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My complaint seems to be similar to one from December which went unanswered.

Although Mail and Calendar are supposedly installed on the phone, the apps look nothing like they do in the store and are very plain indeed.

Outlook from the app library let's Google Mail pop up, not Outlook Mail, and Outlook Mail seems to load from Edge.

Although in accounts, my Microsoft account, Outlook and Google are all clearly shown when it comes to specific apps only Google turns up as installed.

Apart from that the update works fine, but having a trashed Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar is not anywhere near satisfactory as these are two major features.

Deleting Google Mail does nothing and you can't delete Mail and Outlook in order to re-install them in. I haven't tried deleting my Microsoft Account, Outlook account and Google account. Given deleting Google mail had no effect, I can't see this as viable.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Accounts > Your email and accounts > tap the outlook account > manage > Change mailbox sync settings... Is Email sync toggled on?

I have no issue separating my Outlook and Yahoo. Separate tiles for each.

Open Outlook > select account (tap it to highlight) > long tap the account name and choose "pin to start"

Each tile pinned this way opens Outlook to the correct inbox and I have 2 different icons.

Mailboxes.jpg

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

PeregrineSlim

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
They are synched and in accounts and settings the accounts are all present, but pinning a new outlook tile to the start just brings up gmail twice.

Your icon on the left just opens gmail and an icon with a lower case 'e' with outlook.com underneath is the only way of getting to outlook.

I can't get an icon on the right to appear on the start screen but that's certainly an icon familiar from accounts and settings.

Have you got a picture of what an inbox in Outlook looks like and a start page from Edge?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...pinning a new outlook tile to the start just brings up gmail twice.

Pinning from All Apps list? Right, you only have Gmail enrolled in your Outlook Mail App.

Please try opening the working Inbox (Gmail) > Hamburger (≡) > Accounts > Add Account > Outlook... Then back at Hamburger > Accounts > hold down Outlook and Pin to Start...

Your icon on the left just opens gmail and an icon with a lower case 'e' with outlook.com underneath is the only way of getting to outlook.

Odd that Gmail gets the Outlook icon. Maybe if Outlook proper gets pinned it will change the Gmail icon to something suitable? IDK... I haven't used Gmail in a long time. I have a new burner account there as I just got an N7 (2013) to play with... OK When I add it under Outlook and pin it I get the same generic envelope you see for my Yahoo. In medium or large tile it has the account type showing (Yahoo/Gmail/Etc.)

If you get your outlook pinned it will take over the Outlook Icon. Or it should.

Have you got a picture of what an inbox in Outlook looks like and a start page from Edge?

No. I don't use it that way (in Edge).

All email accounts you pin to the screen look exactly the same, navigate exactly the same, show folders/emails/attachments/etc. exactly the same. Whatever account you put in, it is using the Outlook Mail App so they all have the same UI/UX. This is not changed from WP 8.1. (I used to laugh at how some users would claim that Gmail was so much better in the mail App on 8.1 than Outlook was. They are the same interface/look/behaviour. ;))

So we are back to the top of this post:

"Please try opening the working Inbox (Gmail) > Hamburger (≡) > Accounts > Add Account > Outlook... Then back at Hamburger > Accounts > hold down Outlook and Pin to Start..."

I believe that solves your issues.

PeregrineSlim

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
So we are back to the top of this post:

"Please try opening the working Inbox (Gmail) > Hamburger (≡) > Accounts > Add Account > Outlook... Then back at Hamburger > Accounts > hold down Outlook and Pin to Start..."

That's what I thought would solve my issues as it did in fact seem to suggest as much.

When you do this sort of thing it does congratulate me on a job successfully done, but but when I go to Outlook and try to pin it that does not work.

So maybe I'm not holding down the right thing? The Manage button certainly comes up. But Outlook held down results in no pinning option button.

In short, everything on the Accounts and Settings page looks in order, but nothing really works with Outlook and it never appears anywhere else on the phone except via Edge.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12