McAfee downloaded anti-virus without my permission! Can they do this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

McAfee downloaded anti-virus without my permission!

I had several bad experiences with Mcafee tech support and don't want to use their product. do they download their products to my laptop without asking for permission ?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
re: McAfee downloaded anti-virus without my permission!

I had several bad experiences with Mcafee tech support and don't want to use their product. do they download their products to my laptop without asking for permission ?

Only if you are installing something freeware using fast configuration instead of advanced, and you forget to skip / unselect some sponsor.
That's the easiest way to find new things on a pc.
Search and download the mcafee remover, it exists

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yep... Likely it piggybacked on an installer if you had previously removed it from your system.

In general - it is best to avoid "download havens" and sites like CNet, Softpedia, et al and even many blog sites. Typing "free" in your search string often gets you these places as a result.

Yes it is free and yes it (probably) is the program you are seeking, but these places typically make money by "bundling" other "offers" into the installer. It is the #1 way in which the average consumer adds bloat to their system and cause it to slow down.

Do your research on what program or utility you want and then seek out the publisher's website for your download. "Easy" has a hidden cost most times.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Did you install an Adobe product such as Adobe Reader? They're notorious for adding extra bloatware if you just click install without unchecking the extra bloat.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: McAfee downloaded anti-virus without my permission!

Someone I know constantly trashes their desktop by being uniformed ends up with toolbars, antivirus scan tools, malware, hijackers and other fun.
It's a monthly battle to keep him up and running.
Hope his identity remains unscathed.

It's a dangerous cyber world out there.
Stay vigilant.
:grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes