How do I prevent Blinking monitors? SP3+ 2xDellU2417H daisychained with DP/mDP ports!

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Also posted this on the Dell Monitor forum who suggested I post this here as well:

unfortunately, can't post a link here, but if interested go to community forums on the dell site, under periherals and monitors. My post is:
Blinking Dell Monitors: e.g. U2417H (or search for it)

Hi all, purchased two new on the market Dell U2417H monitors last week with the intent to daisy chain per specs with the SP3.

Both blink about every 2 (Monitor 2) to 5 minutes (Monitor 3) intermittently, not in regular intervalls and never at the same time, but often enough to be very annoying. The blink is about 1 second long on each monitor. Everything else seems fine. I extend monitors, don't duplicate. When turning off MST (MultiStreamTransport aka daisychain mode), it only duplicates.

Specs:

Monitor 1 and computer/Tablet:

MS Surface Pro 3 with i5-4300 CPU @ 1.90ghz 2.50ghz, 4gb ram, 64 bit OS
MS states it supports DP1.2 and MST.
The Surface Pro 3 only has one mDP out port, I have no docking station, but the specs again say it's all good and should work just fine to daisychain monitors.
set up to extend primary monitor (primary is my SP3)
all set to their recommended resolutions
Windows 10 Pro v1511. Everything up to date (OS, drivers etc)

Monitors 2 + 3
Dell U2417H, connected with Dell supplied cables (that came in the box with the monitors):

Tablet to Monitor 2: mDP out to DP in (Monitor 2 set to MST on, all other settings factory default).
Monitor 2 to Monitor 3: DP out to mDP in (Monitor 3 set to default factory settings, but also had it on MST on and same issues)

Hope someone could provide some insight.

Thank you.

Frank Qi

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same situation. SP3 + 2 U2417H monitors.

Seems like the blinking only occurs when the MST is turned on... which kind of defeats the purpose of daisy chaining. I'm currently directly plugged into the mDP on the SP3. I'll be bringing in my dock to the office to give that a test and see if that changes anything.

Here's the link to the Dell thread:
Blinking Dell Monitors: e.g. U2417H - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999