I installed build 14328 and added bash. Love bash! However, on my installation apt-get is missing:
    bash: apt-get: command not found

I haven't seen other people having this issue, but I'm not sure what to do. This morning I updated to the newest build, 14332, but that didn't help.

I tried uninstalling bash by going into Windows features and unchecking the Ubuntu on Windows checkbox, but while that did have me reboot, it didn't actually remove bash, and it didn't make apt-get appear. When I went back to Windows features, the checkbox was still unchecked. I checked it again, and it had me reboot again, but apt-get still did not appear.

Any theories on why apt-get might be missing?
    04-27-2016 11:01 AM
    OK I found the problem. I have a version of git bash installed on my machine already. When I installed the Windows Linux subsystem, it downloaded things and had me create a user. Great. But then every time I ran bash from the start menu (by typing 'bash') it was finding and running git bash, not Windows bash. Once I deleted git bash I was, running 'bash' opened the Windows bash, and commands like 'sudo' and 'apt-get' started working. Rather than delete git bash I probably could have checked if it was in my PATH and removed it, but either way, the problem is solved.
    Space between apt & -get
    04-27-2016 11:11 AM
    Good idea, but no. I've been trying no spaces "apt-get" but I tried "apt -get" in case there was a strange implementation here, but that didn't work either.
    04-27-2016 11:14 AM
    Try sudo apt -get
    04-27-2016 11:23 AM
    Another good idea, but that fails too:
    bash: sudo: command not found
    04-27-2016 11:35 AM
    Apt-get shouldn't be there. Fetching and installing packages for regular Ubuntu Linux won't work and there'd be no repository for Ubuntu tools on Windows.
    04-28-2016 03:06 AM
    Er, no. Command line package install should work. It is shown apt -get does work on video at this link https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...tu-on-windows/
    04-28-2016 09:37 AM
    OK I found the problem. I have a version of git bash installed on my machine already. When I installed the Windows Linux subsystem, it downloaded things and had me create a user. Great. But then every time I ran bash from the start menu (by typing 'bash') it was finding and running git bash, not Windows bash. Once I deleted git bash I was, running 'bash' opened the Windows bash, and commands like 'sudo' and 'apt-get' started working. Rather than delete git bash I probably could have checked if it was in my PATH and removed it, but either way, the problem is solved.
    jmshub and ven07 like this.
    04-28-2016 10:16 AM