Switching photos sync form onedrive personal to onedrive for business

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi, as MS have told me that my allowance on onedrive personal is being cut in August and I will then no longer have enough space to keep my photos, I'm wondering - having struggled to find out how - whether I can switch the sync'ing to onedrive for business where there is heaps of spavce availavle.

Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Using 950xl with Windows 10 on fast insider ring.

Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, as MS have told me that my allowance on onedrive personal is being cut in August and I will then no longer have enough space to keep my photos, I'm wondering - having struggled to find out how - whether I can switch the sync'ing to onedrive for business where there is heaps of spavce availavle.

Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Using 950xl with Windows 10 on fast insider ring.

Cheers - Mark

is the onedrive for business under a different email account than the one you use for your phone? If yes, then one way would be to sign in to that account that has the business part for onedrive

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan

Thanks for this. Not sure how to do what you are suggesting.

I go into "photos" and then "settings" and then click on "manage onedrive upload settings" and there is a dropdown entitled "Camera backup account" and in the drop down there is only my MS personal Windows account. There is no option to add or change to my Office365 account or to enter those credentials, which - you're right - use a different email/sign in.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan

Thanks for this. Not sure how to do what you are suggesting.

I go into "photos" and then "settings" and then click on "manage onedrive upload settings" and there is a dropdown entitled "Camera backup account" and in the drop down there is only my MS personal Windows account. There is no option to add or change to my Office365 account or to enter those credentials, which - you're right - use a different email/sign in.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Mark

what about in onedrive? Open onedrive, tap the 3 lines in the top left corner, go to account settings and add account. See if that triggers anything in the photos app

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan

Sorry, was away for a while. Still struggling with this. Yes, I went to tthe 3 lines in the top left corner. It let me add my office365 account but doesnt seem to make any difference to the photos app. Still can't access the 1tb storage I'm paying for to save/sync my photos to.

After much playing around I can now use my office365 account onedrive to save word docs to and I'm assuming that I'll also be able to configure other office apps such as Powerpoint, Excel and hopefully Onenote to access the office365 onedrive too. I simply can't make it happen with the photos app which is really irritating.

Were you suggesting earlier that if instead of using my personal windows account (which I use to sign in to my desktop/laptop and windows phone) that if i signed in to my windows phone using my office365 account that would work? If you think it would I'll give it a try but am nervous of losing everything especially all the paid for apps which were paid for using my personal windows account.

Help!

Thanks... Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan

Sorry, was away for a while. Still struggling with this. Yes, I went to tthe 3 lines in the top left corner. It let me add my office365 account but doesnt seem to make any difference to the photos app. Still can't access the 1tb storage I'm paying for to save/sync my photos to.

After much playing around I can now use my office365 account onedrive to save word docs to and I'm assuming that I'll also be able to configure other office apps such as Powerpoint, Excel and hopefully Onenote to access the office365 onedrive too. I simply can't make it happen with the photos app which is really irritating.

Were you suggesting earlier that if instead of using my personal windows account (which I use to sign in to my desktop/laptop and windows phone) that if i signed in to my windows phone using my office365 account that would work? If you think it would I'll give it a try but am nervous of losing everything especially all the paid for apps which were paid for using my personal windows account.

Help!

Thanks... Cheers - Mark

hey, I found this article: How to Add Multiple Microsoft Accounts in Windows 10 Mobile
It suggests that you can't use a secondary account for photos backup

Sorry about that. The only thing I can suggest is backup manually using the onedrive app and suggest it in feedback hub

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan

I think I may as well give up and pay the ?1.99 per month for an additional 50Gb. A bit annoying given I already pay for 1tb of storage on Office365 for business. The trouble is the more you drill into MS accounts and Office365 accounts the more complicated it all seems to get. Take a look here: Understanding Microsoft Work And Personal Accounts | Bruceb News

The only thing I'm left wondering is what would happen if I tried signing into my windows mobile phone (950xl win10 insider) with my office365 for business account. Do you think that would work? Would my office365 account then become my primary onedrive account? I reaslise I'd loses a load of stuff but I'm thinking that that could be rebuilt. On the other hand might be easier just to pay ?1.99 per month. Grrr...

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan

I think I may as well give up and pay the ?1.99 per month for an additional 50Gb. A bit annoying given I already pay for 1tb of storage on Office365 for business. The trouble is the more you drill into MS accounts and Office365 accounts the more complicated it all seems to get. Take a look here: Understanding Microsoft Work And Personal Accounts | Bruceb News

The only thing I'm left wondering is what would happen if I tried signing into my windows mobile phone (950xl win10 insider) with my office365 for business account. Do you think that would work? Would my office365 account then become my primary onedrive account? I reaslise I'd loses a load of stuff but I'm thinking that that could be rebuilt. On the other hand might be easier just to pay ?1.99 per month. Grrr...

Cheers Mark

you can reset your device and sign in using your office 365 email, then you would be able to upload photos automatically. However, I don't know what would happen with store apps, especially paid apps.

You can easily then add your personal account and get messages and contacts synced back.

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I think the concern I have is whether I can actually set up an MS device using my office365 account which isn't (to my knowledge) actually an MS account per se. I'm going to try it out on an old windows phone before taking the plunge and doing it on my main 950xl. Presumably if I do manage to make it work then it would make sense to also configure my MS laptop and main MS desktop in the same manner(?).

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think the concern I have is whether I can actually set up an MS device using my office365 account which isn't (to my knowledge) actually an MS account per se. I'm going to try it out on an old windows phone before taking the plunge and doing it on my main 950xl. Presumably if I do manage to make it work then it would make sense to also configure my MS laptop and main MS desktop in the same manner(?).

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers - Mark

does your onedrive for business account have an email address? If yes, then it should work

Try the old phone, that's a good idea

if you want to backup for pc also? Not sure about that one. There is onedrive for business for pc

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan

I have reset the spare phone and when i get to the bit where it asks for ms account, I put in my office365 account name (email address) and thehn password and it says:

"Your account or password is incorrect. If you dont remember your password, continue without a miscrosoft account."

I think it's simply because my office365 account is not a microsoft account as such.

Hey ho, at least I didnt reset my "live" windows phone.

I'll just pay MS an additional ?1.99 per month.

Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan

I have reset the spare phone and when i get to the bit where it asks for ms account, I put in my office365 account name (email address) and thehn password and it says:

"Your account or password is incorrect. If you dont remember your password, continue without a miscrosoft account."

I think it's simply because my office365 account is not a microsoft account as such.

Hey ho, at least I didnt reset my "live" windows phone.

I'll just pay MS an additional ?1.99 per month.

Cheers - Mark

that's a bummer. Let's hope they allow you to use multiple accounts in the future for uploading

One more thing I could suggest is to find a service that helps you move files from one storage service to another. I did that, copying 250GB of files from onedrive to Google drive - it took a day but the good thing was I didn't use any wifi or data for that. Imagine trying to download and upload 250GB :grincry:. The service I had used was mover.io but it has a charge now instead of being free

If you don't mind the hassle of periodically moving stuff from one account to the other, it can be cheaper for you? Assuming you find a service that works transferring data between storage services

a1mark

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan

Thanks for your suggestions they seem like a good idea. It's slightly annoying though as all I am trying to do is to keep things simple.

I had a long and arduous chat with a MS Answertech yesterday on this subject.

My point to her was that I had a windows account (along with its free onedrive personal space) and a office365 for business account. My onedrive personal space was being cut (along with many other people's) and there's a link on my phone saying "Get more space for photos with Office 365". I already have Office 365, why cant I use that?

Anyhow, after about 90 minutes we got to the point that what the link means is office 365 personal. She didnt think that it was possible to combine a office365 for business account with your ms account. (A point later confirmed by my office 365 for business reseller, an MS Gold Partner).

For my incovenience she offered me a years free subscription to office 365 personal. I figured this would more likely confuse the issue as I would then have two office 365 accounts and anyway it would expire after a year. She then offered 20GB free increase to my onedrive personal account - non-expiring.I said thank you very much and it arrived in an email today. Only problem is it says it expires in 12 months anyway!

Hey ho...

At least I think I have some sort of understanding of it all now even if it is all a little daft, to say the least.

Cheers - Mark

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
you should have taken the office 365 personal offer :grincry:

But that was kind of good of MS to compensate you on that - gives me an idea on how to get a free O365 for myself when mine expires :devil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3