Why does my phone not recognise *one* set of earphones?

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, looking for some help/common experience on a confusing problem.

Found that my favourite set of earphones (made by Microsoft, Comfort headset, to be precise) were not recognised by my 950XL. They've been working fine together for several months, this is entirely out of the blue.

The headphones do, however, work on my PC and at least one other phone. Haven't had time to check more.

Soft reset and removing the back to quickly clean the phone's port has had no effect on this scenario.

So, you'd think my 950XL has a dodgy port, right? Ummm, doesn't seem like it.

At least four other sets earphones, from various makes and levels of price, work with my phone. Oh, and a speaker. They all work as you'd expect, all get recognised and all play music through them - rather than the phone speaker - just fine. But this one set of earphones just won't get recognised.

There is a *slight* potential the jack has been bent, it looked a little off at one glance but I can't confirm since as twiddling it in my thumbs close to my eye makes it hard to tell if it's a one-time trick of the light or not. It could very well be nothing, and otherwise the jack is clean and looks fine.

Could a very slightly bent jack be the cause?

Can any help me solve this riddle?

Thanks in advance.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, looking for some help/common experience on a confusing problem.

Found that my favourite set of earphones (made by Microsoft, Comfort headset, to be precise) were not recognised by my 950XL. They've been working fine together for several months, this is entirely out of the blue.

The headphones do, however, work on my PC and at least one other phone. Haven't had time to check more.

Soft reset and removing the back to quickly clean the phone's port has had no effect on this scenario.

So, you'd think my 950XL has a dodgy port, right? Ummm, doesn't seem like it.

At least four other sets earphones, from various makes and levels of price, work with my phone. Oh, and a speaker. They all work as you'd expect, all get recognised and all play music through them - rather than the phone speaker - just fine. But this one set of earphones just won't get recognised.

There is a *slight* potential the jack has been bent, it looked a little off at one glance but I can't confirm since as twiddling it in my thumbs close to my eye makes it hard to tell if it's a one-time trick of the light or not. It could very well be nothing, and otherwise the jack is clean and looks fine.

Could a very slightly bent jack be the cause?

Can any help me solve this riddle?

Thanks in advance.

try moving the jack in and out of the port slowly to see if there's any place the connection works

Other than that, you could also see if someone has the same earphones and try theirs on your phone

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow I had forgotten about this one - gonna post a quick update in case somebody stumbled across it someday.

Basically, I bought an entirely new set of earphones, identical to the faulty ones. They worked perfectly, and still do. Must have been a dodgy pair of earphones, so they went in the bin.

Interestingly, I found the 'dodgy' pair mucked up my Xbox controller temporarily whenever I plugged them into the jack - the controller would not process anything through the mic until the batteries were removed and replaced. Replug the earphones in again, and the problem comes back. Odd.

So yeah, bin and replace fixes it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720