Phone Backup Not Working?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm trying to use the phone backup feature in a Microsoft Lumia 640 (running WP 8.1), but I get the following error every time the backup progress reaches 100%:

"We can't connect to OneDrive to back up. Update your phone and try again."

My phone is already up-to-date, though it's interesting that I've only started having this problem since I checked for new updates earlier today (the check confirmed that my phone is up-to-date). I've restarted the phone several times, and synced my Microsoft email account in "Email & Accounts". Clearly this bug isn't caused by my phone needing an update. I have a strong Wifi/4G connection, and am using Wifi to run the backup, that can't be the issue either.

Does anyone know anything else I could try to fix this? Are there any known issues with OneDrive connectivity at the moment?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling I've had this before but the backups were still being made.

If you go to the website and click Storage/Device backups, do you see them there?

Another option is to purge older backups and see if that helps.

BAMimages

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I started having exactly the same issue and error message in February. Until then my backup had been working fine.

I can manually upload photos and files to OneDrive from my Windows phone, but when I try to backup Apps & Settings it gets to 96% then says "we can't connect to OneDrive to back up. Update your phone and try again." My phone is up to date and if OneDrive wasn't syncing I wouldn't be able to upload photos manually from my phone to it! It's a bug specifically to the backup app.

Went to the O2 shop and they couldn't fix it.

Tried all the "fixes" online:
- logged into OneDrive from laptop, saw the failed backups listed, deleted them all, restarted phone, re-tried backup. Didn't make any difference.
- made sure my lock screen photo wasn't too large. Used a bing photo instead. Didn't work.

As I said, even though my phone is registering that my backups haven't worked they do show in OneDrive if I log on with my laptop. However, I've no idea if they are full backups or corrupted in some way and therefore unusable.

If anyone comes across a fix NOT aleady mentioned above please let us know!

DannyGer

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Same here!

And I have tried an old WP8.1 Phone, where for months nothing been changed and apps installed and also there comes the error.

When I switch off the App saving, than the backup ends without error, but the backup filesize is than 0 Bytes.

Is there anyone with WP8.1, where the backup works without error?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Try unselecting one app at a time to discover which app is causing the problems with backup - for me it was always MS hyperlapse that had issues - I removed it from the apps list and then backup worked

tommce

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I think this is the key.

I switched off App Backup entirely, just leaving Settings Backups, and it ran perfectly, with the new backup visible on OneDrive.

I'll go through and see which app it is when I have more time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS